2014 Crochet square swap, colorful circles.

Pics

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
It's been a while since we have had a crochet swap, anyone interested in doing one????

Just to be clear all BYC rules apply, this is not "endorsed" by BYC and they are not responsible for any issues w/ the swap. If you have issues w/ it contact me not BYC.

I found an easy but nice pattern, more modern in feel then anything we've done til now, thought it would be a nice change of pace. It is circles in a square two different sizes. The smaller one is 6 inch and the larger one 12 inch. We would all be doing this pattern, but pick whatever colors inspire us, and this would be a great stash buster idea.

The color rules would be the final two rows need to be a pure white. They need to be made out of the Red Heart brand (their plain white, they have the regular skein and the super saver size)

The circles can be any color and any number of colors, however they need to gradate, start light in the center and dark at the outermost ring.

Any brand or color of thread, as long as it is normal weight (#4). (Except the white needs to be the original Red Heart (as in not with love or the other types of red heart)

Each participant will need to crochet 12 of the larger 12 inch squares and 12 of the smaller 6 inch squares, this will be considered "a set" even though we are calling it a set they don't all have to be the same, they can be or they can all be different. If your finished project needs more you are free to sign up for multiple "sets", if you send in 2 sets you will receive 2 sets back.

I was thinking a good due date would be Nov 10th, gives us plenty of time, plus ends the swap before it gets to hectic w/ end of year holidays.

Since we are crocheting a set number of squares there will be no sign up deadline, each new participant will just need to decide if they have time to meet the mail deadline of Nov 10th.

For those who have not participated in swaps, each of us will crochet our squares, then mail the completed ones to me including return postage. I will sort and make sure everyone gets each others blocks and mail them back.

Here is the link to the blocks and the pattern

http://madebydo.blogspot.nl/2013/02/large-circles-in-square-tutorial.html

Here is a pic of two I whipped up tonight to show how you could include variegated yarn if you wanted.

They have not been blocked so the small one doesn't look completely circular, but it is.

Just a reminder for those not familiar w/ using the magic circle to start your squares you must secure the tail it does not self secure! (you can use any starting method you like, the magic circle makes getting a tight center w/e the center hole easier)

Last edited:
Guess I should have posted a roster
hide.gif

1) Kassaundra
2) Acemario
3) Coldupnorth
4) Rancher Hicks
5) Cheeky Chick
6) Sebocat
7) Mr. Sebocat, Jr

Last edited:
I have an hour drive to work all highway so boring, and this morning I was thinking about this swap and I have come up w/ a cool idea for assembling this one.

Since I've been asking about swaps, it would be unfair not to be in, so here I am. Though I prefer a specific yarn designation, Kass what are you using? They have to be this specific pattern but we get to pick the colors?

No theme? Just a pattern? It's fine mind you but I just want to be clear. No alteration in that pattern?

Since I've been asking about swaps, it would be unfair not to be in, so here I am. Though I prefer a specific yarn designation, Kass what are you using? They have to be this specific pattern but we get to pick the colors?

No theme? Just a pattern? It's fine mind you but I just want to be clear. No alteration in that pattern?

The only color rules will be the white final two rounds, and it needs to be real white, not offwhite, ecru, eggshell etc.... I plan on using the red heart super saver white personally, it is easy for me to get.

Now for the circles, any color, any #4 yarn, any number of colors, as long as they are placed in a gradient pattern (lightest in the center to darkest final round).

I picked this pattern b/c I thought it would make a good "scrappy color" w/ a purpose type project. Be a chance to use up bits of stash, and be a little more on the modern side, spread our design wings a little. I think the simplicity of the design will lend well to the scrappy color idea w/o being a hot mess.

So yes no alteration in the pattern, just in the circle colors.

Would the group like to stipulate the final white rounds being a specific brand of yarn? If so which one? Keeping in mind it needs to be a nation wide brand.

The large block needs to finish at 12 inches and the small one at 6. I think we need to do equal amount of both per set so the finished piece will have large and small blocks that "speak" to each other colorwise. If we decide to assemble like the blogger did we will have to make extra small squares ourselves, and if we have to make those all ourselves there will be few / none that are the same color as the larger ones.

I'm thinking if we set the number to a specific number, say 12 large and 12 small (open for suggestions on the number) then we can keep the sign up open longer, as long as new sign ups think they can finish be the deadline.

If anyone has questions or suggestions or ideas about the swap, speak up. I don't mind at all we will mull over it as a group. I am the middleman, but the swap is all of ours.

Oh and Rancher I also meant to say, when I do the sorting I will do my best to make sure each persons set tells a "color story" (as much as possible) but still gets squares from everyone else in the group.

Back
Top Bottom