2014 Hatchery Chick Orders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by StewedMammal, Dec 20, 2013.

1. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    What is everyone ordering for chicks this coming year? Where are they coming from? What breeds are you getting?

2. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    I'll start. Today I placed an order from Ideal Poultry for 12 dark brahmas, 8 partridge cochins, and 5 bb red malays. All of which are straight run. I'm surprised how fast they have been selling, my chicks aren't supposed to be shipped to me until June 30th! It's going to be a LONG wait.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm still debating my second order from Sand Hill, can't decide, can't decide, can't decide, there are just so many choices, makes you just want to order five of everything and get it over with...already have a couple of new-to-me breeds Kraienkoppes, Iowa Blues and Tomaru on order so at least I got that far.

4. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    I know what you mean. It took me a few months to choose these 3 breeds, but I still have an order from Cackle I have to place once they start taking orders, and I don't even know what I want from there yet.

5. SilkieGuy

SilkieGuy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Augusta, GA
    We ordered some fertilized Blue Silkie eggs for early February. Finishing up the broody coop once the sun comes up.

6. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I put in an order to Ideal for a couple each of Kraienkoppe, Orloff, Saipan, Dark Brown Leghorn, and Buff Geese. I'm already wishing I ordered more.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  7. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    hmmm... very tough decision. I got a gift card to myer's but I was thinking about buying from ridgway. There are so many hatcheries out there and I just cant decide. I'm kinda scared that if i order from myers then they are all going to show up dead!

8. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Im going to be ordering my other chicks from ideal instead of cackle (works out better that way). Deciding now on what exactly I will be ordering, I have an idea, but not yet positive. I also have 36 eggs in the incubator from my flock, and all 36 eggs have growing chicks inside! They are due to hatch January 15th.

9. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    I just placed the order. I ordered 30 assorted heavy pullets, 5 assorted heavy cockerels, 6 bb white turkeys, and 9 red silkies. They are due to hatch 4/23.

10. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I ended up ordering a few more from Cackle: White Chanteclers, Black Copper Marans, Welsummer, Buckeye and of course the Hatchery Surprise. I think I'm done ordering birds for the year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by