2015 breeding season

Yes, he is. He is a pretty good one. The jokes he makes during his Sunday sermon ARE funny, but he seem to have a strange sense of humor outside of Sunday. I personally like his wife much better - She is the most godly person I have ever met. She is so pure and beautiful in appearance and sprit, and sooo very kind & innocent. I don't see how her spirit hasn't rubbed off more on him.
idunno.gif

If he ever says anything like that again I will let him know it isn't funny. He reminds me of how I used to be in middle school. I went through a mean phase where I made jokes at the expense of others. It caused me to lose a friend and I realized finally that I wasn't being kind. Looking back I have no idea why I was that way for a little while and I am not proud of it. Maybe it was because I was picked on heavily in middle school so I lashed out. Anyways Most of the time I like the preacher, but then he goes and says something that makes me not like him for a little bit.

I am super excited for this year's breeding season. Just yesterday I figured out that I have been raising peafowl for around 7 years! I was so surprised on one hand it doesn't feel like it has been that long, but on the other I can't really recall what I did when I didn't have the peafowl to take care of every day. I am excited to hear the males call again. I have been hearing them make little short noises but nothing serious yet.

Yes, he is. He is a pretty good one. The jokes he makes during his Sunday sermon ARE funny, but he seem to have a strange sense of humor outside of Sunday. I personally like his wife much better - She is the most godly person I have ever met. She is so pure and beautiful in appearance and sprit, and sooo very kind & innocent. I don't see how her spirit hasn't rubbed off more on him.
idunno.gif

If he ever says anything like that again I will let him know it isn't funny. He reminds me of how I used to be in middle school. I went through a mean phase where I made jokes at the expense of others. It caused me to lose a friend and I realized finally that I wasn't being kind. Looking back I have no idea why I was that way for a little while and I am not proud of it. Maybe it was because I was picked on heavily in middle school so I lashed out. Anyways Most of the time I like the preacher, but then he goes and says something that makes me not like him for a little bit.

I am super excited for this year's breeding season. Just yesterday I figured out that I have been raising peafowl for around 7 years! I was so surprised on one hand it doesn't feel like it has been that long, but on the other I can't really recall what I did when I didn't have the peafowl to take care of every day. I am excited to hear the males call again. I have been hearing them make little short noises but nothing serious yet.
It goes by fast. Such as of this year I have had peafowl for 3 years. It doesn't feel like it but I have.

Hey everyone
smile.png
. I always find my way back here at this time of year. I hope everybody had a good off season and I am looking forward to hatching along with everybody for another year. This is year 4 for me I think.

Your preacher sounds very jealous of your affection-addiction to peafowl Minx. He seems to be using that topic as a go-between bonding attempt between you and him.In my small rural community everyone knows me from rasing purebred German Shepherds for decades but then a few years ago when I suddenly built pea palace and people driving by would hear the males calling or see them on their perches they couldn't believe it. Around here if you have peafowl your one in a million as we are very few and far apart here. Local people knows what we charge and get for the puppies we ocasionally raise and sell,,and we've heard a lot of snive comments to the effect we are crazy and the dogs are waaay overpriced. Yet we have a waiting list at al times.

Now the new chatter was about our peacocks,,if we're raisng them we must be getting tons of cash for them as well. They do not know the time and money we have invested to get the number and colors of birds we have and nor do they know we are often times too cheap on our prices. as long as they pay for their feed bill,,or come close,the calming affect and sheer beauty of our birds is all we need here. Let them be jealous of the time,money,and beauty us as flockeepers can only enjoy 24-7.

You have birds of beauty and they are not everywhere thus the reason I think your preacher singles you out. Offer him a male during breeding season. Have him build pens,and daily care for them. Better yet instead of giving him an egg to eat,see if he can hatch one on his own first without any help. Soon he will realize his words were uncalled for and he should apologize to you.

I doubt he would want a peacock and I don't know if he has the backyard space for one. I haven't seen his house and yard though. I would be worried to give one to him but I could offer him one if I do any hatching like I am planning on doing. I could always say if it got to be too much to handle for him he could give the bird back to me then I could sell it. If I gave him an egg to hatch and it ended up having trouble hatching that really would be a hard lesson. The peafowl egg I gave Aaron to hatch a few years ago had trouble hatching, and even with my help on the phone and through texting he was so very stressed out and upset. He was able to help the peachick out successfully and straighten its toes, but a month or so later the peachick died.
hmm.png

One of the last times I talked to him I mentioned how I am working towards getting green peafowl, and I explained how they are endangered and really different looking from India Blues. He listened to me and seemed interested, and he told me to keep him updated on how it goes. Every other Wednesday we are supposed to look at a list of things to discuss such as bad things or stressful things that happened to you over the week, or good things, or things you did that you are not proud of, etc. I am not really one for sharing that sort of stuff because I mainly share that with Aaron or my parents, and I don't really feel like spewing out my problems on Wed. night especially because Wed. night church is more of a getaway from life for me more than a time for remembering how cruddy the week was. Anyways, I wasn't really sure what to talk about as the week was pretty normal for me, so I mentioned the green peafowl and how I have really been wanting some for a while and that was just something on my mind. The preacher was of course taken back because everyone else was complaining about work, not enough sleep, mean roomates, etc and I talked about birds. He didn't really know what to say to me which I thought was funny. He just said good luck.

That is lame that people gossip about your animal keeping. I think your German Shepherds sound amazing. I love watching the German Shepherds on the TV show K9 Cops take down the bad guys. They are such amazing dogs and I have always loved how they look a little wolfish. People just don't understand because most people might have just a cat or a dog. Not many people are into breeding animals and less people are into keeping large birds. Many people that find out I have peafowl think that they must be really expensive to buy. They are always very surprised at the price. I have a lot of respect for people that do amazing things for pets and make interesting environments for their pets. One such amazing example is people who make vivariums for their frogs, fish, snakes, salamanders, etc. Here is an example from off of Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/impulselabs/3111707211/in/faves-minxfox/):

I think a lot of people miss out on finding some unique hobby and thus sometimes those of us with a unique or different hobby seem weird and perhaps even the center of gossip.
idunno.gif

MinxFox, it sounds like you handled the situation at church just fine! Nobody -- NOBODY -- should be making you uncomfortable or feeling guilty about not sharing your feelings with anybody... not their business. Share what you want, don't share what you don't want, and never, never let anybody guilt trip you into anything different.

I doubt he would want a peacock and I don't know if he has the backyard space for one. I haven't seen his house and yard though. I would be worried to give one to him but I could offer him one if I do any hatching like I am planning on doing. I could always say if it got to be too much to handle for him he could give the bird back to me then I could sell it. If I gave him an egg to hatch and it ended up having trouble hatching that really would be a hard lesson. The peafowl egg I gave Aaron to hatch a few years ago had trouble hatching, and even with my help on the phone and through texting he was so very stressed out and upset. He was able to help the peachick out successfully and straighten its toes, but a month or so later the peachick died.
hmm.png

One of the last times I talked to him I mentioned how I am working towards getting green peafowl, and I explained how they are endangered and really different looking from India Blues. He listened to me and seemed interested, and he told me to keep him updated on how it goes. Every other Wednesday we are supposed to look at a list of things to discuss such as bad things or stressful things that happened to you over the week, or good things, or things you did that you are not proud of, etc. I am not really one for sharing that sort of stuff because I mainly share that with Aaron or my parents, and I don't really feel like spewing out my problems on Wed. night especially because Wed. night church is more of a getaway from life for me more than a time for remembering how cruddy the week was. Anyways, I wasn't really sure what to talk about as the week was pretty normal for me, so I mentioned the green peafowl and how I have really been wanting some for a while and that was just something on my mind. The preacher was of course taken back because everyone else was complaining about work, not enough sleep, mean roomates, etc and I talked about birds. He didn't really know what to say to me which I thought was funny. He just said good luck.

That is lame that people gossip about your animal keeping. I think your German Shepherds sound amazing. I love watching the German Shepherds on the TV show K9 Cops take down the bad guys. They are such amazing dogs and I have always loved how they look a little wolfish. People just don't understand because most people might have just a cat or a dog. Not many people are into breeding animals and less people are into keeping large birds. Many people that find out I have peafowl think that they must be really expensive to buy. They are always very surprised at the price. I have a lot of respect for people that do amazing things for pets and make interesting environments for their pets. One such amazing example is people who make vivariums for their frogs, fish, snakes, salamanders, etc. Here is an example from off of Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/impulselabs/3111707211/in/faves-minxfox/):

I think a lot of people miss out on finding some unique hobby and thus sometimes those of us with a unique or different hobby seem weird and perhaps even the center of gossip.
idunno.gif

At my school if some one mentions kid knowing poultry, owning peafowl, or chickens they know me. I have a reputation for my obsession with poultry. Your not the only one being the center of gossip.

MinxFox, it sounds like you handled the situation at church just fine! Nobody -- NOBODY -- should be making you uncomfortable or feeling guilty about not sharing your feelings with anybody... not their business. Share what you want, don't share what you don't want, and never, never let anybody guilt trip you into anything different.

Thanks.
smile.png
I am amazed at these two sisters in our group that just share everything with us, and once one even broke into tears but felt better after sharing. It amazes me how different people are. I don't like to cry in front of people and I don't really like sharing my life with anyone except those really close to me. I understand how sharing can help some, but it just doesn't work for me as I am normally a quiet person. My idea of feeling better is spending some time alone to just reflect on things and appreciate the little things.

Birdrain - I put in the gossip point to refer to frenchblackcopper's situation. I doubt I get gossiped about for having peafowl since I don't mention it much and I don't talk to many people although gossip never really comes back around to me so who knows? I don't really care what people say. From an early age I dealt with people being mean and gossiping about me (not for birds but for being weird) and eventually as I got older I got to the point where I just didn't let it bother me anymore.

Is anyone going to add a new variety to their flock this breeding season? I hope to get some green peachicks with Zaz.

At my school if some one mentions kid knowing poultry, owning peafowl, or chickens they know me. I have a reputation for my obsession with poultry. Your not the only one being the center of gossip.

Well, yeah. Cuz it is always so much easier to gossip & backbite and point at other people than it is to get up before dawn and do ranch chores.

I will never understand why people are so interested in running down other people -- seems like they need more work & stuff to keep them busy so they wouldn't have so much time to point fingers and backstab...

You kids are doing the right thing, tending to your birds and your own business. Can't keep the gossipers from gossipping, but no sense losing any sleep over them. I don't know what ever happened to kindness, maybe it was always a mythical value. But the ability to make nasty comments via text and social media seems to have made the teen social scene generally much worse. Hard time to be a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom