2015 New York Chickenstock

@Nuttyfrom6kids - I was wondering today about the young chicks that will need heat. How's that going to work for those bringing chicks?
I have some that don't need heat any longer, but the just-hatched ones might get a little chilly, even though they're calling for 80's on Saturday.
Anyone else have a suggestion. I do have a broody hen that I'm going to see if she'll adopt some of the extra incubator chicks that I'll be growing out.
But, I didn't want to tote her and all the chicks (some of which wouldn't be for sale).
Empty plastic bottles filled with hot water.

I might have the issue of keeping the chicks warm worked out - the bantam Cochin, Confetti, that hatched out 4 SFH last week, may be temporarily "adopting" the just-hatched chicks. So far, she seems to be ok with the new chicks, and since she's small, I wouldn't mind transporting her. Plus, she's sweet and gentle. The other broody hen, Olive, that has other chicks that just hatched (& that I'll be growing out) - is more protective of her chicks & is like her mom - doesn't like to be confined for very long after the chicks have hatched. She likes to get them out and about. She adopted and raised Cornish meaties last year, and did a great job - she just can't co-raise chicks alongside another hen.
Long story short, if Confetti continues to be fine with the new "peeps", then they'll have a portable heat source on Saturday!

Have at least 1/2 of the young stock sorted out, and making a list of who to bring on Saturday. It's crazy how some of the chicks from the same hatch have very obvious roosters, yet others are slower in showing their true identity. In some ways it's good that they show themselves early, but then I get "stuck with them" until it's "freezer time"! And from the looks of it, we need to start pre-cooking and de-boning some of last year's chickens, to make room for this years's batch! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll only be able to bring the "straight-run" chicks, as the ones that are definite pullets have been pre-sold. But, there's some that look like they might be pullets, but they're still a little too young to make a definite decision.

I might have the issue of keeping the chicks warm worked out - the bantam Cochin, Confetti, that hatched out 4 SFH last week, may be temporarily "adopting" the just-hatched chicks. So far, she seems to be ok with the new chicks, and since she's small, I wouldn't mind transporting her. Plus, she's sweet and gentle. The other broody hen, Olive, that has other chicks that just hatched (& that I'll be growing out) - is more protective of her chicks & is like her mom - doesn't like to be confined for very long after the chicks have hatched. She likes to get them out and about. She adopted and raised Cornish meaties last year, and did a great job - she just can't co-raise chicks alongside another hen.
Long story short, if Confetti continues to be fine with the new "peeps", then they'll have a portable heat source on Saturday!

Have at least 1/2 of the young stock sorted out, and making a list of who to bring on Saturday. It's crazy how some of the chicks from the same hatch have very obvious roosters, yet others are slower in showing their true identity. In some ways it's good that they show themselves early, but then I get "stuck with them" until it's "freezer time"! And from the looks of it, we need to start pre-cooking and de-boning some of last year's chickens, to make room for this years's batch! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll only be able to bring the "straight-run" chicks, as the ones that are definite pullets have been pre-sold. But, there's some that look like they might be pullets, but they're still a little too young to make a definite decision.
I used hand warmers under their bedding when i brought chicks home from florida. They were fine.

If I have a dozen silkie hatching eggs, is anyone interested in buying them? They will be blue, black or splash in color. From my blue pen that has a splash girl. I will count them later.
I might be interested depending on the price

@Nuttyfrom6kids - I was wondering today about the young chicks that will need heat. How's that going to work for those bringing chicks?
I have some that don't need heat any longer, but the just-hatched ones might get a little chilly, even though they're calling for 80's on Saturday.
Anyone else have a suggestion. I do have a broody hen that I'm going to see if she'll adopt some of the extra incubator chicks that I'll be growing out.
But, I didn't want to tote her and all the chicks (some of which wouldn't be for sale).
I will have electric available so if you need to put them under heat bring a heat lamp

I think Some hot hands in he bottom of the carrier would work for everyone involved. People will just have to have them for themselves or maybe Nutty can bring some if the store sells them, but suggesting that you give them away of course.

Sorry don't have Hot hands hasn't been a big call for them
I hope those who are bringing perennials are bringing some extras. I have orders for some plants and some chicks however depending on how much I can fit in my Ford hatchback I will be buying more.I just don't want to order a whole bunch and not be able to fit it in there.

I also need to talk to Nutty about organic feeds and such. I am a first time chicken mom and really don't know how much I need to buy or what to buy...

Yes I would like some EASTER EGGER PULLETS with beard and cheeks if there are any to be had. It would be horrific to send up with a Roo, because there is ZERO tolerance for Roos in Rome, N.Y...and it would be "off with his head" as soon has he had a "neighbor audible" crow.

Is anyone else bringing meats??? Because I doubt 1 package of 3lb wieners and a box of 20ish premade burger patties is going to be enough.
Are there going to be food vendors there? What about all the people that are coming that aren't part of BYC and how do you tell them apart?
So far what I have seen it is only you and I and that is not going to be no where near enough.

Okay... Chicken Peeps!!! We NEED MORE MEAT...and I don't mean on the run either.
It is only Nutty and myself bringing beef and dogs that isn't enough. WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS TO BRING SOME MEATS. Chicken, dogs, beef, sausage... what have you.

Chickenstock things

Who is bringing meat for this I so far have 3lbs of Hot Dogs and 1 box of Burgers from Aalisa and I will be bringing 1 box of burgers and 10 lbs of Hotdogs. But we need more burgers and lots of buns. I will be having soda and water bottles for sale I will also bring a pasta salad but we need to have lots of food.

For the Raffles everyone please remember to either bring a canned good / non perishable or you can purchase tickets for the Chick starter pack with chicks for a $1 each. This will benefit the Point Rock Methodist Church's Food Bank.

Second Raffle will be for Brand New Homelite Trimmer and tickets for that will be $1 each or 6 for $5 this will also benefit the Point Rock Methodist Church

Third Raffle will be for a Brand New 14" Efco Chainsaw tickets for this will be $5 each or 5 for $20 this will also benefit the Point Rock Methodist Church.

Chinese Auction I will be donating some flower and vegetable seeds and something else not sure what right now. Tickets for this will be $1 each or 6 for $5

50/50 Raffle tickets will be $1 each

Parking will be plentiful and is clearly marked.

Bathroom I have rented a port a potty with a sink.

Okay... Chicken Peeps!!! We NEED MORE MEAT...and I don't mean on the run either.
It is only Nutty and myself bringing beef and dogs that isn't enough. WE NEED MORE VOLUNTEERS TO BRING SOME MEATS. Chicken, dogs, beef, sausage... what have you.

I can bring hamburgers and a watermelon. I won't be there until around 12:30

My wants for Chickenstock

Guinea eggs or keets

Polish chicks

Blue, or Black Silkies.

Geese eggs or goslins

Duck eggs or Ducklings

Cochin Chicks

Orpington Chicks or eggs

Back
Top Bottom