2015 New York Chickenstock

Thanks to Nutty & family for hosting Chickenstock - had a wonderful time! Thanks also to Metella, Pyxis & Luv for the new babies - all doing well in their new home. I also bought a cuckoo Maran from someone (forgot your name, sorry
sad.png
). She has been named Brunhilde since she bosses everyone around! Thanks Gramma for the comfrey - not yet planted due to rain all day, not complaining it's desperately needed. My friend & new 'chicken addict' is already looking forward to next year, so if there is a Fall Chickenstock she will be delighted!
I really enjoyed meeting some of the 'names' here, unfortunately, my old, addled brain won't remember everyone, so thanks to all for a really relaxing day,
thumbsup.gif

Love the name Houdini!

I had a barred rock named Houdini who escaped from everything and scared me half to death by ruining my biosecurity. I rescued her and her sister off the side of the road on a rainy night, brought them home, put them in an uncompleted coop I was working on just to keep them from my other birds for the night, and she and her sister escaped. They still hadn't come into contact with my other birds though since mine were in a run, so I snagged them and put them in their own pen, which Houdini promptly escaped from, then broke into my birds' run and I found her fighting with one of my hens. Thank goodness they were healthy, besides being very underweight.

ohhhhh and in case you thought shoving 2 broodies in a cat carrier and driving them around the back roads of ny and vt for 6 1/2 hours would break them you would be wrong lol, got them settled in their own spaces last night then offered them each a couple eggs from the fridge today, they both chooked shoved the eggs under their bums and sat happily lol, already in love with these girls. "broody twin" has been renamed Lady Lola she is such a doll, and i love love love MJ!
Thank you LUV

I hope you all had a great time at chicken stock. My plans on attending landed in the gutter when my husband's car died and had to use mine for work. Bummed does not even describe how I felt.
On a brighter note, went to grab chick starter for my pullets and....saw some baby chicks. I asked what they were and they said silkies.
I was at the time, quite miffed since they were supposed to call me first when they came in! I missed out on the last batch, anyway, I'm super excited to get my babies. They are ADORABLE!

I had a barred rock named Houdini who escaped from everything and scared me half to death by ruining my biosecurity. I rescued her and her sister off the side of the road on a rainy night, brought them home, put them in an uncompleted coop I was working on just to keep them from my other birds for the night, and she and her sister escaped. They still hadn't come into contact with my other birds though since mine were in a run, so I snagged them and put them in their own pen, which Houdini promptly escaped from, then broke into my birds' run and I found her fighting with one of my hens. Thank goodness they were healthy, besides being very underweight.
Lol...I can see them in that chicken commercial taking a road trip!

Glad that all your other birds were fine. Can't imagine wiping out my flock for trying to do something good~ which would be my luck!

However, I read one article on the Cemani's that said they are believed to be mystical and bring great luck & fortune to their owners! Woot woot!
pop.gif

So what happened to the crazy hens that you found wandering the streets?

Glad that all your other birds were fine. Can't imagine wiping out my flock for trying to do something good~ which would be my luck!

However, I read one article on the Cemani's that said they are believed to be mystical and bring great luck & fortune to their owners!  Woot woot!:pop    

So what happened to the crazy hens that you found wandering the streets?

They lived with me for about two years before I lost them. Barcode for some reason attracted my guineas, which she was pretty darn weirded out about at first - when I put her in the run they just started following her everywhere, preening her face, etc, but eventually she grew to like them and slept with them around her on the roost at night. I lost her one early spring day - she was down in the run and couldn't stand, so I got her into a nice box with shavings and she passed away comfortably. Houdini I lost the following winter. I have no idea how old they were but neither of them ever laid so they were up there. I'm pretty sure they were just dumped by their former owners once they were no longer producing eggs, poor girls.

They lived with me for about two years before I lost them. Barcode for some reason attracted my guineas, which she was pretty darn weirded out about at first - when I put her in the run they just started following her everywhere, preening her face, etc, but eventually she grew to like them and slept with them around her on the roost at night. I lost her one early spring day - she was down in the run and couldn't stand, so I got her into a nice box with shavings and she passed away comfortably. Houdini I lost the following winter. I have no idea how old they were but neither of them ever laid so they were up there. I'm pretty sure they were just dumped by their former owners once they were no longer producing eggs, poor girls.
Well, it was good of you to take them in! Barcode is such funny name!!!

ohhhhh and in case you thought shoving 2 broodies in a cat carrier and driving them around the back roads of ny and vt for 6 1/2 hours would break them you would be wrong lol, got them settled in their own spaces last night then offered them each a couple eggs from the fridge today, they both chooked shoved the eggs under their bums and sat happily lol, already in love with these girls. "broody twin" has been renamed Lady Lola she is such a doll, and i love love love MJ!
Thank you LUV
I plucked MJ out of the nest box that morning as well as one of the twins..I love the name Lady Lola!! I guess she was the one that was still sitting. I called them the Unbreakable broody twins...guess she still is. I'm so glad that you love them. I miss them already, but know that they are in a good home.
hugs.gif
I'm sure that my little girl will be happy to know that you love them so much!!

I have to tell you that Saturday night when I was locking up I started to freak out when I wasn't getting the correct numbers and started looking frantically around for the missing chickens. I was so upset when I couldn't find them and tried to figure out which chickens were missing..Then I stopped and realized...DUH... they are at their new homes..Even tonight I had to think twice when I didn't get the right number.

Back
Top Bottom