2015 New York Chickenstock

Does chicken fever ever go away??? I just got 4 new birds at ChickenStock and now... hmmmm I wonder what I what I want next...It started by going to Runnings in Rome to get "6" chicks to start... making sure I could care for them and such... Hmmm, walked out with "9". Then I came to ChickenStock to get "1" cull from Pyxis came home with "4"... just had to have that lilac Marana and of course I couldn't leave her little sisters behind. Gahhh. Now I want more and ducks too!!! My husband doesn't understand my fascination... I love em' the little *****!!!
welcome to hotel California. You have entered. You can never leave.

barring anymore changes or emergencies I plan to be three.<-THREE
Rancher I will miss the spell check on your daughters computer ..when you come home ...
It is quite hilarious !
Last CStock Nutty grilled ..I think she oversaw the food table too ...Her sons were a great help to her too
A big Thank you to your family Too for their contributions

No it doesnt ! To understand it you must have it ! LOL
Mine Doesnt understand it Either..He does love the fresh Eggs ..
Ducks ...Had them didnt like them ...tooo messy ..would not get them again

I'm hoping to try ducks next year. I want to at least try them. I'm waiting until at least the end of May so they can make their mess outside, and waiting until next year so everything is ready before I get them.

welcome to hotel California. You have entered. You can never leave.

Rancher... this is less that a stellar reply.I feel doomed.

Yes. I do feel a bit obsessed. I think about chickens, read about chickens, and talk about chickens a lot . Okay more than a lot...& I talk to the chicks and I have had not a single egg yet.
I have wanted chickens for about 10 years, but with my nursing career and being a single mom with 3 daughters it was a bit impossible.

I guess I thought it would get better not worse.

Now if I could I would have geese and ducks and guinea and goats... and I know I wouldn't stop there.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to try ducks next year. I want to at least try them. I'm waiting until at least the end of May so they can make their mess outside, and waiting until next year so everything is ready before I get them.

Yep I am planning on getting ducks from Pyxis next year. If she ever gets her ducks...
I know I will never buy hatchery birds again. The little squirts I have that were home raised are so much better than the ones from "Runnings". Although I have 1 PR -Betty, 1 AL- Margaret and 1 BSL- Opal...that follow me around and don't squawk much when I finally, am able to catch and pick them up.

Last edited:
Yep I am planning on getting ducks from Pyxis next year. If she ever gets her ducks...
I know I will never buy hatchery birds again. The little squirts I have that were home raised are so much better than the ones from "Runnings". Although I have 1 PR -Betty, 1 AL- Margaret and 1 BSL- Opal...that follow me around and don't squawk much when I finally, am able to catch and pick them up.

You sound like me. All the other poultry I want and then goats and who knows what. The backyard birds are just better. They are better with people seem to be healthier and larger then hatcheries. I think the hatchery birds lay more but they die rather early and you have to start again. I like to support local when I can, and I won't support the culling of day old male chicks.

How much would you be asking for 1 drake & 2 girl Anconas?  I would ideally like to start with 4-5 girls & 1 drake, but can't be picky at this point...

I was looking for 8 a duckling - they are all show quality, and I should be hatching out both black and white and colors. If there are specific colors you want, I'm probably going to get more eggs and do a second run. If you've got an incubator - I can hook you up with the breeder directly! Her birds are really beautiful, and well socialized - she will also have ducklings later in the season as well. She is out of state, but does come out this way with tons of hatching eggs, plus some young stock! Last time she just had Ancona drakes. (Very friendly and well put together birds!)

You sound like me. All the other poultry I want and then goats and who knows what. The backyard birds are just better. They are better with people seem to be healthier and larger then hatcheries. I think the hatchery birds lay more but they die rather early and you have to start again. I like to support local when I can, and I won't support the culling of day old male chicks.
There is backyard goat movement!

I was looking for 8 a duckling - they are all show quality, and I should be hatching out both black and white and colors. If there are specific colors you want, I'm probably going to get more eggs and do a second run. If you've got an incubator - I can hook you up with the breeder directly! Her birds are really beautiful, and well socialized - she will also have ducklings later in the season as well. She is out of state, but does come out this way with tons of hatching eggs, plus some young stock! Last time she just had Ancona drakes. (Very friendly and well put together birds!)

8 sounds good. I don't have a clue about incubating, so that's out.
sad.png
As I said, I would ideally like 4-5 girls/1 boy - would you be able to do that?? If not, I can always add on at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom