Possible coccidiosis in new chick. concerned about death/spreading

brooklynzoo

Chirping
Mar 7, 2020
uh oh i think my favorite lavender is sick. could it be coccidosis?? please help!!
environment: brooder in my bathroom. they are there all night and most of the morning. around 11am I bring their second brooder box to the living room to acclimate them to the other animals, people and general activity in our house. both areas are adequately heated and kept free of drafts. I use hemp bedding. they have organic starter feed, electrolyte water, chick crumble with probiotics, and regular fresh water in a nipple feeder. they are used to the waterers and feeders now. As far as treats: I gave them some hardboiled egg yolk on day 2 but they didn't seem to be interested. I also gave them a small stick from an elderberry plant in my garden that was smothered in aphids and no interest, so I don't think anyone got sick from treats... also the lavender has been napping with one of the marans more frequently so I'm worried it's spreading. I changed the water that was in dishes but I didn't see any poop in there in the first place... the only way I can think of that this happened is she was pecking the litter for crumbs of food and ate some poo.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-my-4-and-a-half-day-old-lavender-girl-sick.1375019/

They are too young for coccidiosis. I would give it 2 drops of Poultry NutriDrench, or dip it’s beak into electrolyte water and get it drinking. Chicks have to be kept warm, but not too warm, and outside they need to be protected from direct sun. If on grass, they also need to have chick grit available to digest grass, bugs, and worms. At this age 90 degrees with a cooler spot to go to is best, and decrease the temp by 5 degrees each week.

(I know this thread was posted a few hours ago, but I felt that I needed to answer since I have dealt with this before).
I don’t know what age ‘too young to have coccidiosis’ is, but I do know that I lost a chick to the disease at just a few weeks old. Fortunately, I was able to save the other 5.

The first warning signs for me for the disease was a red color in their poop. Inspect as good as you can to see if there is any in your chicks’ poop.
The second stages will be the chick starting to stop eating and not walking around as much, and then eventually just stop getting up at all, but by then it might be too late.

What I did to help my chicks was put something called ‘Corid’ in their water. There is a certain amount you should put, but I will have to go to another thread to get that information for you (it’s been a while). The disease did not spread to my other chicks after that and they are happy and healthy today at 1 year old.

I hope everything goes well and your babies will be alright :hugs

(I know this thread was posted a few hours ago, but I felt that I needed to answer since I have dealt with this before).
I don’t know what age ‘too young to have coccidiosis’ is, but I do know that I lost a chick to the disease at just a few weeks old. Fortunately, I was able to save the other 5.

The first warning signs for me for the disease was a red color in their poop. Inspect as good as you can to see if there is any in your chicks’ poop.
The second stages will be the chick starting to stop eating and not walking around as much, and then eventually just stop getting up at all, but by then it might be too late.

What I did to help my chicks was put something called ‘Corid’ in their water. There is a certain amount you should put, but I will have to go to another thread to get that information for you (it’s been a while). The disease did not spread to my other chicks after that and they are happy and healthy today at 1 year old.

I hope everything goes well and your babies will be alright :hugs
Thank you!! They are brand new babies, today is their fourth day so after doing some research I'm thinking they are too young for coccidiosis. Also, throughout the day the lavender took some food and yolk/water mix and ended up perking up a lot! Hopefully in the morning she'll be completely back to normal.

Thank you!! They are brand new babies, today is their fourth day so after doing some research I'm thinking they are too young for coccidiosis. Also, throughout the day the lavender took some food and yolk/water mix and ended up perking up a lot! Hopefully in the morning she'll be completely back to normal.

Sorry I’m late responding, but I’m so glad your chick is doing alright! I hope she is back to normal soon ♥️

Back
Top Bottom