2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Apr 19, 2015.

1. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

I had it on grams and changed it. The babe weighed 64 grams if that helps you!! ;)
    Lol!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Lol, I was just teasing you. I find it so much easier to to keep track of them in grams, it makes calculating medications, food, weight gains/losses so much easier.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Got to say that I am thrilled to see so many people weighing their chicks these days!

-Kathy

4. ellymayRans

Used two phones to take pics but update of the hatches. 4 made it to lockdown. 1 hatched really early Monday morning on day 27. 2 others had pipped. Both below the air cell. I helped a bit just to make sure I could see them and they were able to breathe.

The pics are of the 2 pipped. The smaller of the 2 died after a bit of labored breathing. The other is quite large but not from too much humidity. It has a bit of a bloody navel but otherwise seems ok. Its leg was on its head with both wings at its sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little blood so I stopped and waited for a couple hours. It tried moving but couldn't.

Here are the 2 together. The larger weighed 132g at set and Day 25 114g.

The smaller 131g at set and Day 25 112g.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ellymayRans

Hours later I removed enough to basically allow it to be sitting in the egg as it had quite a bit of goop and open navel but yolk completely absorbed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ellymayRans

The first to hatch weighed in at 64g. This one weighs 84g.
    [​IMG]

Navel is a bit open but dry.
    [​IMG]

This is the egg. You can see it had already had a bowel movement but very bloody in there.
    [​IMG]

The 4th egg which seemed to lose the perfect amount of weight throughout died. Eggtopsy: no internal pip. Set weight of 126g Day 25 111g.

2 people like this.
  7. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Hello! My name is Rachel. My dad told me yesterday we would be getting some peafowl eggs from someone and they dropped them off today. I have 4 eggs total. No idea which type or anything, and I have no experience hatching them. I was hoping to set them tomorrow since I don't know how old they are. Does anyone have an advice for a peafowl newbie? I'm not sure I'll get to keep them if they hatch since I live in the middle of the city but having a successful hatch would be nice.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is this the correct formula to calulate weight loss?

Start weight - final weight
    ------------------------------------- X 100 = % lost
    Start weight

I'll use one of my eggs as an example

114.84 - 99.84
    ------------------ X 100 = 13.06%

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Calculating fertility percentage:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And this:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: May 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by