2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Cool! Will do. I did manage to get a shot of the male's wing...I think there are one or two full white wings under there as well.

He's a split to White for sure. Rather this male has a Black Shoulder gene, or the hen has a White gene. With Black Shoulder hens it can sometimes be hard to see if they are split to White. I'm going to lean toward a White peachick but repost a picture of the chick when it's older so we can give you a strong answer.

White - great! It will be interesting to see if the 3 eggs my friend is hatching actually hatch and if they are the same. I will post a picture in a couple of weeks. Thank you for the information!

Whites can be fun and beautiful. This is my White peacock Ice. He's a yearling and he will probably have a train next year.

He is beautiful! It would be unexpected to get a white peachick from my two. I have made a note in my calendar to take a picture in a week or so of the chick's wing. I bought the medicated feed today, but the chick didn't seem interested yet. He/she watched the hen pecking, but went back under her to sleep. I have some egg yolk to try to entice him/her which I will try tomorrow and I did dip the beak in water. Fingers crossed it thrives! Thank you for all your analysis!

He is beautiful! It would be unexpected to get a white peachick from my two. I have made a note in my calendar to take a picture in a week or so of the chick's wing. I bought the medicated feed today, but the chick didn't seem interested yet. He/she watched the hen pecking, but went back under her to sleep. I have some egg yolk to try to entice him/her which I will try tomorrow and I did dip the beak in water. Fingers crossed it thrives! Thank you for all your analysis!

The egg yolk has so much nutrition in it when a chick hatches they can get by without feed for 48 hours. You'll notice the chick will probably not eat so much to show it in the feed bowl. The chick will eat I'm sure of it. My peachicks wouldn't eat for a while maybe a couple bites but once they were a day or two old then they began to eat more often.

Sometimes to encourage them to eat, I use oatmeal wet with warm water then slowly add the crumbles in a bit at a time over a few days. I also add Kaytee bird handfeeding formula to the oats, they love it and it's good for them. Good luck! :)

Thank you to everyone for helping me with my first peachick hatch...mama chicken successfully hatched 2 peachicks and they are doing fabulous! Here is a recent picture...they are now 7 weekd old and we are keeping our fingers crossed that one is a boy and one is a girl
1f423.png
1f603.png

Thank you to everyone for helping me with my first peachick hatch...mama chicken successfully hatched 2 peachicks and they are doing fabulous! Here is a recent picture...they are now 7 weekd old and we are keeping our fingers crossed that one is a boy and one is a girl
1f423.png
1f603.png
I believe the Pied is a male and it looks like the chick on the left with the black legs is a Spalding. Not sure if it's a boy or girl. I think Spalding hens tend to have barring so I think it's a hen but I would feel more comfortable if another raiser of Spaldings would comment.

that's good info to have,thanks. since this was our first time dealing wit peachicks we decided to go the"inexpensive" route and got fertilefertile eggs from ebay from a mixed flock...the cost was far cheaper from mixed flock vs. pure bred colors...the eggs we purchased came from a flock that has India Blue shoulder, Black shoulder, Spalding-India Blue/Java Green, White, India Blue Pied and Purple pied... we figured the next go around we would concentrate on getting purebred colors for more expense. When they are older I will post photos so the experts can tell me just what variety they turned out to be :)

1f423.png
1f603.png

Congrats on two healthy baby chicks!! Can't wait to continue watching them grow!

Back
Top Bottom