2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
If that's a black copper maran it's a very poor example of one. The feathers around the neck are to be black not red. The red feathers indicates jungle fowl in this birds lineage you have pictured. Some marans do have this fault and should not be used to breed to SOP with but their eggs can still be just as dark and tasty as the more breed worthy birds.

So, with the help of a lot of wet towels and quick movements we dove in to rescue the two that had hatched without losing much humidity at all. I wasn't particularly worried about the pied but the little white eye baby had a pretty splayed leg that I didn't want to let get any worse. I've never had a bird of any kind with a splayed leg at hatching so I admit I'm sitting here with it in my hand holding the leg in the appropriate position for the moment. Has anyone had to forge a splint for a splayed leg before and if so what did you use and how did you do it?
Tupperware makes a long skinny bowl that resembles one you can put hot dogs in. It's about 2"s wide and is perfect for helping peachicks with splayed legs get better. Still tape them to keep them positioned under the chick and then set the chick inside the long Tupperware container for about 2 days. You can cut the lid on one end for the peachicks head to stick thru and put paper towels behind the chicks rear end so it stays forward in the container. the container is about 5-6"s long so the chick kinda must be forced to one end so it stays there.

Hmmm... not sure. Perhaps @DylansMom , @frenchblackcopper or @AugeredIn will know.

-Kathy

I've not had one stick out in front like that, I am wondering if it may have slipped a tendon? I would hobble brace and use the Tupperware container, just make sure he is secure and gets water, but can't fall in and drown.

I hobbled her leg last night with medical tape (thank you, I was out of vetrap and didn't want to use actual tape) before I went to bed. This morning she was bobbling around with the other one with little baby steps. I think I made it a little too wide still, so I will redo it when I get home from work, but this is worlds better already.

[VIDEO]

I hobbled her leg last night with medical tape (thank you, I was out of vetrap and didn't want to use actual tape) before I went to bed. This morning she was bobbling around with the other one with little baby steps. I think I made it a little too wide still, so I will redo it when I get home from work, but this is worlds better already.
How adorible you gonna have some spoiled baby's on your hands, hope you got your ear plugs on LOL

Tupperware makes a long skinny bowl that resembles one you can put hot dogs in. It's about 2"s wide and is perfect for helping peachicks with splayed legs get better. Still tape them to keep them positioned under the chick and then set the chick inside the long Tupperware container for about 2 days. You can cut the lid on one end for the peachicks head to stick thru and put paper towels behind the chicks rear end so it stays forward in the container. the container is about 5-6"s long so the chick kinda must be forced to one end so it stays there.

You don't do the 'burrito' anymore? I took mine out of it this morning and it was 80% better, but the toes were curled. We made shoes and stuffed it back inside the tube. I will take it out this afternoon and hobble it if it isn't 100%. The other five are doing fine, two more are pipped and one more after that.

Burrito works but it's tough to get tight enough around the chick so it keeps it's legs under it. Get some shipping tape for those toes. Cut a piece about 3" long, spread the toes as they should be and press down on the sticky edge of the tape,then fold whats left over the top of the toes and press tight between the toes to keep them seperated and flat. Cut the excess off and let-em go. They are pretty mobile with this set up if the surface is not slick. Normally after the second day the tape is almost worked off the foot so keep an eye on it for awhile.Also make sure the tape doesn't go up the leg,past the flex point where the bottom of the leg meets the toes or the tape can cut the leg.

My hen didn't return before I had to leave for work last night and she didn't come this morning either so I was very concerned. Not to mention when I got home about 3 am I had a oppossum getting into my younger chicks brooder and the dog going nuts at an owl after I sent him out after the oppossum.

Then I also noticed my BS Peahen was not roosted with the others and not been here this morning. So on the hunt again and I thought if see the BS no problem. A lot of ground to cover out there but no such luck. Yet!

I did manage to spot my IB though. Now just to figure out how to handle the situation. I can't leave her I just know something will find her. She didn't budge or make a peep and we were not 5 ft from her. We hung out talking about what to do. She acted like she could care less.

Might be a little wide, but not by much.
big_smile.png
Looks pretty good!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom