2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Yay go Sage!
clap.gif

I was going to leave the shoes on the Imperator peachick until Monday but he looked like he was doing so well that we decided to take the shoes off. So far his feet are looking good! One toe is slightly crooked but I think as he grows it will straighten out. I had 2 young peahens one year that had slightly crooked toes that straightened when they got older.

The poor peachick didn't know what his feet were and he kept pecking at them but now he realizes they are his feet. We let him down on the floor to walk around without shoes for the first time and he was very fast! He has started to fly a little. He is crying now so I need to go calm him down haha.
I have one peachick right now trying to hatch out. He's pecked half of the egg out but I think he's trying to kick the egg shell out now. There's a crack line that's going most of the way and it's almost 24 hours since I saw the first peck. Should I wait until tomorrow morning before helping or should I help later today? I don't want defects and I've had chicks in the past hatch themselves out.

Hey you guys! I hope everybody has had happy hatchings so far this season! I have a question for you guys, I have a peachick that was shrink wraped and she finally hatched on day 34 which was this morning and shes still holding her neck as if she was still in her shell, its all crooked and I'm hoping she just needs to get her strength up but im kinda worried...she is the first pea I have ever incubated and another has hatched out since she did and its fine. Has anybody ever had a pea go 34 days until it hatched ? This pic is from when she just hatched

this is her now 12 hours later and her neck is still crooked and she has actually tryed to stand up so thats a improvment, I gave her some electrolytes with vitamins which has seemed to help give her some strength.

Peachick finally out but I'm worried about the toes. They are still curled. I know it's only been 4 hours since getting out of the egg buts I'm still worried. I don't want curly toed chicks being sold since it can be genetic. I don't know why the toes are still curled, the peahen had 22% protein and oyster shells for calcium. It hatched within 24 hours of the first crack. I'll post a pic later.

Peachick finally out but I'm worried about the toes. They are still curled. I know it's only been 4 hours since getting out of the egg buts I'm still worried. I don't want curly toed chicks being sold since it can be genetic. I don't know why the toes are still curled, the peahen had 22% protein and oyster shells for calcium. It hatched within 24 hours of the first crack. I'll post a pic later.

If it isn't walking flat footed in the morning put shoes on it.

Back
Top Bottom