2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Since it is dark now maybe try and pull eggs out and hold them to a light to see if there is anything inside and to see if there is a chick in there moving and possibly making noise.

When I used to let my hens hatch their own eggs they never had an egg under them that didn't hatch. Maybe the one that has already hatched is just a little early. If you are really concerned I would candle them.
So, Yeah MinxFox- its so weird. I never had an egg under one of my hens not hatch either- atleast when they were fertile. I've had hens sit on nests that were all duds, and I would have to pull the eggs after 35 days or so. But if they hatched, they all hatched. But this time, only the one chick hatched. I finally tapped the other eggs tonight- and nothing- totally undeveloped- don't even know if they were ever fertile. 1 perfect chick and 5 nothing eggs. Did not expect that. So, wondering if it was too early in the season, was it too cold when they started....is my male shooting blanks? Hmmm...

Did your peahen lay any eggs before she started laying eggs into a nest? So like decoy eggs? If the other eggs were her very first ones of the year maybe she hadn't bred yet. It could be she just didn't breed maybe.

Did your peahen lay any eggs before she started laying eggs into a nest? So like decoy eggs? If the other eggs were her very first ones of the year maybe she hadn't bred yet. It could be she just didn't breed maybe.
No, She used to lay Decoy eggs when she was younger, (in fact I brought up the decoy egg-ploy in an earlier thread when some one spoke of random eggs in weird places)- but ever since she had her first real nest of chicks that hatched safely- she has never reverted back to laying decoy eggs. But, your right- maybe she should have. I always thought of the decoy eggs as tests eggs to see if the area was safe from predators- but maybe its actually a few test serves, before they're fertile.

Huh well at least now you know and don't have to help out any peachicks! I think the peachick will do well. I think it is harder raising one hand raised peachick but since the peahens can communicate with the peachicks better and look after them more than a human can it should go well.
hugs.gif

Today has been a weird day for me. I was at home and I got a phone call and saw that it was AugeredIn calling. I wasn't expecting that so I answered the phone and he told me he had a 3 day old Indo-Chinese green peachick that hatched while he was gone for a few days and it has curled toes. He said he wasn't able to fix the toes because he was going off again and so he was asking me if I wanted the peachick. So it wasn't long before I met him in a Wal-Mart parking lot and got my very first green peafowl! The peachick is doing well. It is in peachick shoes. It still needs to hold its left foot more flat but we will continue to work with it and hopefully as the chick walks it will help correct the foot. Right now it is in my Mom's shirt sleeping. I will post pictures later.
smile.png
Oh and the peachick drank some water and had a bit of food too.

I am REALLY happy! Thanks AugeredIn!
wee.gif
This was a really un-expected kind of event. Although that is sort of how I got into peafowl in the first place.
Congrats, hoping it will get fixed soon!

Phil is great it is nice being near another BYC member and a great peafowl breeder.
smile.png
He has some plans for a big planted aviary to house lots of different birds that he was telling me about. I am really excited to see how his project goes!

The Imperator chick is doing a lot better. I am still keeping an eye on its left foot since the chick is still not holding it as flat as I would like it to. It is hard to describe I should be able to show you in pictures.

Here is the first photo I took of the peachick. We had just put shoes on him using the first method pictured and shown here on this page that we devised 2 years ago: http://bamboopeacock.com/Fixing_Crooked_Toes_on_a_Peachick.html

You can see that the chick's left foot right at the ankle was bent a little strangely.

Here is the peachick today:

Biting my finger

Looks pretty tall to me.

You can see that left leg I am worried about here. I really hope the chick will start walking on it better. It has improved since yesterday but the left foot is still not being held as flat as the right foot.

The dog is overly interested in the peachick of course. I have to watch out for the dog when I take the peachick out. When Peep was a little peachick our now passed away dog tried to bite him and when Peep got older he pecked the dog and scared her. I am hoping that the dog we have now will learn her lesson. I brought her into the pen one day and Peep pecked her, but she still has an interest in birds even with Peep scaring her a little.

So I decided to candle last night and didn't see anything :( It is only day 8, but they look completely clear to me. Is that normal or should there be development at that point? The guy we got them from didn't know if they were fertile, so they may be duds.

I recently candled on day 7 and could see veins and the little tiny chick starting to develop inside. I would still keep them in your incubator and candle them again after maybe another week. They could very well be duds but it is best to hold on to them a bit longer just to be sure. On day 7 I candled 14 eggs and only saw development in 3 so I might be dealing with a bunch of duds as well!

I did the KsKingBee method to sex the little Imperator peachick with a washer tied to a string. Guess what? After 2 tries both results told me it is a male. The first time I wasn't sure but the second try it definitely was moving in a circle. I had a feeling that it was a male so I guess it is! I will still wait to see for sure, but before holding the washer and string over the bird I held it over me and then our female dog and the washer went back and forth for us so I would say it is a male.

Looks pretty tall to me.
Congratulations on the green peababy MinxFox!!!!
clap.gif
This is really exciting news, you must be really thrilled!

Maybe you should start a new thread about his foot problem, in case someone has seen this particular problem before?
You know our PeaPeople are the best pea health resource!
Or, do you think your little guy is improving significantly enough that you aren't too worried?

Phil is great it is nice being near another BYC member and a great peafowl breeder.
smile.png
He has some plans for a big planted aviary to house lots of different birds that he was telling me about. I am really excited to see how his project goes!

The Imperator chick is doing a lot better. I am still keeping an eye on its left foot since the chick is still not holding it as flat as I would like it to. It is hard to describe I should be able to show you in pictures.

Here is the first photo I took of the peachick. We had just put shoes on him using the first method pictured and shown here on this page that we devised 2 years ago: http://bamboopeacock.com/Fixing_Crooked_Toes_on_a_Peachick.html

You can see that the chick's left foot right at the ankle was bent a little strangely.

Here is the peachick today:

Biting my finger

Looks pretty tall to me.

You can see that left leg I am worried about here. I really hope the chick will start walking on it better. It has improved since yesterday but the left foot is still not being held as flat as the right foot.

The dog is overly interested in the peachick of course. I have to watch out for the dog when I take the peachick out. When Peep was a little peachick our now passed away dog tried to bite him and when Peep got older he pecked the dog and scared her. I am hoping that the dog we have now will learn her lesson. I brought her into the pen one day and Peep pecked her, but she still has an interest in birds even with Peep scaring her a little.

OMG i have been so busy i haven't had much time for anything extra and i missed this little guy he is a beauty where did you get him??? i am coming to see you on the 26th can you and Arron meet with me at Josh's? I have to drop of the peas i am bringing and am going to be picking up an Anatolian pup from a breeder for someone here in Texas, not sure if that is going to be before or after i load up my birds but i would love for us to go have a bite to eat or a snow cone LOL and talk peas for a spell before i have to head back to Texas

Back
Top Bottom