2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Anyone interested in doing a chick weight/study? Just need you to weigh them when you can and let me know what type of feed your're feeding.

-Kathy

Hi everyone,
I have just placed 6 fertile peahen eggs under my broody chicken...I don't own an incubator and this is our first attempt at peahen eggs - does anyone have any positive stories they can share about their experience with peahen eggs hatched while using a broody chicken? I've seen all of the bad experiences - just looking for some uplifting positive stories to keep me going :) I have seen posts about success with chickens hatching peahen eggs, but low and behold, now that I am doing it, I can't find those posts!
Can anyone share their experience and let me know of the chicken was a good mom, and when the peafowl can be on their own? And what is different about raising the peafowl?

We both work full time, otherwise I would have got an incubator and then hand raised them, but since we are away all day we found it much better to have a broody do all the work.
Please let me know - today is 24 hours from placement, 6 peahen eggs under one trustworthy Rhode Island White hen :) I am looking forward to the peafowl hatching :)
Thanks!
Carrie

Hi everyone,
I have just placed 6 fertile peahen eggs under my broody chicken...I don't own an incubator and this is our first attempt at peahen eggs - does anyone have any positive stories they can share about their experience with peahen eggs hatched while using a broody chicken? I've seen all of the bad experiences - just looking for some uplifting positive stories to keep me going :) I have seen posts about success with chickens hatching peahen eggs, but low and behold, now that I am doing it, I can't find those posts!
Can anyone share their experience and let me know of the chicken was a good mom, and when the peafowl can be on their own? And what is different about raising the peafowl?

We both work full time, otherwise I would have got an incubator and then hand raised them, but since we are away all day we found it much better to have a broody do all the work.
Please let me know - today is 24 hours from placement, 6 peahen eggs under one trustworthy Rhode Island White hen :) I am looking forward to the peafowl hatching :)
Thanks!
Carrie
Welcome to BYC and the peafowl group!

I have had great success letting chickens hatch and raise peas. One thing I do though is deworm the hen with safeguard and treat with metronidazole before the chicks hatch. Peafowl are very susceptible to blackhead, so I treat the hens prophylactically for it.

-Kathy

Sigh... Day 26 and three of thirteen are peeping but all three are malpo'd!

-Kathy

I feel your pain, I spent all day peeling out another 3, that were ready, but not making the effort.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom