2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
My males will peck at the babies and so will some of my hens and roosters so I have to separate. :(. My main ib male is nonchalant and doesn't even give a fig, I can trust him but some of the others are awful.

Love the pictures by the way, adorable!

Last edited:
My males will peck at the babies and so will some of my hens and roosters so I have to separate. :(. My main ib male is nonchalant and doesn't even give a fig, I can trust him but some of the others are awful.

Love the pictures by the way, adorable!

My male is 3 and we have 2yr old peahen that's a spaz I guess those are who I'm worried about. Do you pull mom and babies out once hatched?

Last year I had a three year old hen raise her own peachicks in a pen with a two year old hen and a peacock that would attack me. They knew to stay away from mom, but I actually would observe the peacock interacting with the chicks. Leo7 posted a video of his green peafowl families showing the behavior I saw with mine. I think the chicks will be fine, just be watchful.

I have a question. It may sound silly but my peachicks are my pets. They are 2&1/2 wks old and in a brooder in my living room. They want they lid off of the brooder so they can fly around the house. But I'm worried they will get hurt, flying around. Does anyone let their chicks fly around? Also, since it's not a good idea to let them run around outside yet, what can I give them in the brooder to keep them busy?

I have a new baby! Pics when I get Mom more situated. I have under an orp that raised 3 last year, but she did peck them away at 5 weeks. Good mom up to then though. At least I can put her in the living room where I can keep an eye on her. Most freak out when I try to bring them inside and just want back out. :(

Ruby , I am sorry I can't help u, I put mine outside with my mom chickens in a protected shelter during the day at about 3 to 4 days old but I have to be extra vigilant for signs of illness.

Last edited:
I have a question. It may sound silly but my peachicks are my pets. They are 2&1/2 wks old and in a brooder in my living room. They want they lid off of the brooder so they can fly around the house. But I'm worried they will get hurt, flying around. Does anyone let their chicks fly around? Also, since it's not a good idea to let them run around outside yet, what can I give them in the brooder to keep them busy?

I have 1 I've been raising inside and I put multiple roost at different heights and I shopped around in the bird section at petsmart and got him a little mirror with bells. He loves it.
I let him out several times a day to stretch his wings. We have a large great room and he flies all over, but mostly goes straight to the couch for lounging or to take a dust bath!! Lol! He's now about 9 weeks old and I've been letting spend several hours outside to socialize and he has been doing great. Just my experience.

This is momma and her babe's outside.

I have 1 I've been raising inside and I put multiple roost at different heights and I shopped around in the bird section at petsmart and got him a little mirror with bells. He loves it.
I let him out several times a day to stretch his wings. We have a large great room and he flies all over, but mostly goes straight to the couch for lounging or to take a dust bath!! Lol! He's now about 9 weeks old and I've been letting spend several hours outside to socialize and he has been doing great. Just my experience.

This is momma and her babe's outside.

Yes, mine fly right to the couch too! Yours is beautiful! Thanks for the pics. I'm debating on bringing them outside. I hear so much negative stuff about letting them hit soil. We'll see how it goes. They are only 2&1/2 wks old. So I've got a little time. And love the pic of momma & the babies! At least I know I'm not the only one with peachicks flying around the living room! ;)

Yes, mine fly right to the couch too! Yours is beautiful! Thanks for the pics. I'm debating on bringing them outside. I hear so much negative stuff about letting them hit soil. We'll see how it goes. They are only 2&1/2 wks old. So I've got a little time. And love the pic of momma & the babies! At least I know I'm not the only one with peachicks flying around the living room! ;)

I have one indoors that does not have a brooder even. I set up a tray table with a cover, food and water, and a great lamp on the back of the couch. She sticks by me mostly, sitting on the back of the couch to watch out the window, where I set up an outdoor bird feeder for her to watch the wild birds. She's almost big enough that I'll be able to order a little chicken diaper for her and not have to be on constant "poop watch" anymore.

And there are a lot of bad things that can happen outside but if you're keeping an eye on them and their health you should be able to treat anything that goes wrong. The biggest concern at that age is worms, which can kill pretty quickly. But a little Ivermectin can clear that up or even prevent it.

Yeah I didn't start letting him outside until he was 8 weeks so just this past week and only because it dried up here a lot. If it's rained or wet soil I wouldn't. I have quite a few different birds too that all free range is another reason. I don't have any area that birds haven't been.

I'm planning on worming my chickens but I only want to by one bottle for both chickens and the peafowl. I've been reading that Valbazen is preferred over safeguard. Can I use this on the peas? Any preferences here out of the two?

Back
Top Bottom