2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
@KsKingBee , sorry you're loosing so many.
hugs.gif

So far I've set 20... A few clears, two blood rings, some early quitters, some late quitters, two bellies, one, one goldfish eye, and one that just pipped. Of those 20, I got five healthy chicks.
fl.gif
for the one that just pipped.

-Kathy

Given a choice, I would give it a **** guinea keet, they are smaller and are good teachers for the peachicks. I have had no problems with that combination and they are somewhat cleaner in general in the brooder.

I guess I need to go back to using broodies for the first week or two.
he.gif
I am having about 2/3 of my eggs quit between day 20 to 25. I am using tek-trol to clean the eggs before setting, the hens are clean of parasites, getting the best feed I can provide.... IDK, it seems like I had better hatching last year when I was not bothering to sterilize the eggs. I can't blame the hatcher because they are dying before they go in there. The Sportsman was sterilized before it went into service this spring. Temp is 100* and humidity is running between 42 and 50 when I don't forget to fill the tank. All eggs but one has lost appox. 20% of the total weight.

Well, it just got worse, all eight eggs I put into the hatcher failed. One was internally pipped and another was moving when they went into the hatcher, the others I am pretty sure had no movement, I just didn't give up on them so they went into the hatcher with the two that were alive.

We did experience an electrical outage a few weeks ago that lasted most of the day, maybe that was the problem, but it didn't affect all the chickens and guineas we are hatching like popcorn. We are getting almost 100% hatch with those eggs.

Misery loves company
hugs.gif
. Zaz made a comment today on her FB page about too low of humidity causing late quiters. Any thoughts here about that? Candy reminds me that it seems to be that we have the early issues every year then it turns around.

Don't tell me it's gonna be another of those years! :(

Misery loves company :hugs .  Zaz made a comment today on her FB page about too low of humidity causing late quiters.  Any thoughts here about that?  Candy reminds me that it seems to be that we have the early issues every year then it turns around.

I'm sure ur determination will pay off eventually. It has to. Wishing for many healthy pea chicks in your future.
1f642.png

Congrats on the 5 healthy chicks! Sounds like quite a feat. Wonder what causes the goldfish eye. Bummer about the belly chicks.

Im probably kidding myself thinking I could hatch a pea when all I've ever hatched are chickens. Need to try tho. Fantastic info on this thread.

Don't be silly, we all started out like you. Actually I had never hatched any kind of egg, before trying Pea eggs, and I did okay. Just read, read, read...and unlike chicken chicks, do help them out during hatching. I probably assist 1/3 of mine out and they grow up healthy and fine.

​Don't be silly, we all started out like you. Actually I had never hatched any kind of egg, before trying Pea eggs, and I did okay. Just read, read, read...and unlike chicken chicks, do help them out during hatching. I probably assist 1/3 of mine out and they grow up healthy and fine.

I will give it a shot. All of you posting on here have already helped me a great deal! Thank you!!

Don't tell me it's gonna be another of those years! :(

After I remembered that I have lab quality mercury thermometers in my HatchCraft inc and hatcher I started checking the temps in the HC hatcher and the Sportsman The HC inc was good at 99.5* the hatcher was running at 102* and the Sportsman at 101*
ep.gif
Even though they are all digital controlled and high end at that, they are off. AugeredIn said that his Sportsman would 'wander off' nd to check them. So, now I have them both running at what I think is right, 100* on the Sportsman and 99.5* on the hatcher.

I am hoping that fine tuning my temps will alleviate the problems I have been having. Oh, and the Sportsman now has the auto fill water bucket back on like last year and the humidity has been raised to 50%.

Anyone mind if I join? I just won an auction for some pea eggs :) It'll be my second time doing them.

Back
Top Bottom