1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2016 Peepers - What are you waiting on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bramblefir, Mar 11, 2016.

1. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I was looking at the heating plates from Premier, but I don't think they'll work with the very different growth rates of bantams, large fowl, CX, ducks, and geese.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

I was reading about reviews on the Brinsea ecoglow brooder and one Lady was raising Bantam and Standard sizes and brooding them together with the Brinsea and what she did was drop one side for the Bantams to huddle under and left one side up for the Standards to get under. it worked well for her but I'm thinking she had the larger 50 chick model because I can't imagine the 20 chick having the space to do that. in fact I can't imagine 20 chicks fitting under the 20. it will work out just about right for my 9 that's coming but even at only 9 it seems pretty tight, I'd imagine.I am pretty sure it will be alright for my 9 but I'm thinking it would be perfect for 5 or 6. like 3 in front 3 in back. I can't even imagine 20 standards fitting...I guess it's been done but it would be awfully crowded. the 50 would be best but I could only afford the 20. Right now wayfair has a really good deal on the 20.it's still kinda expensive (to me) but in the long run will save money on electric costs. They are usually over a hundred dollars but right now the 20 chick is 85 dollars.not sure about the 50 chicks price?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    January 1st-February 2nd: Several hatches which yielded 34 chicks (Silkies and Sizzles).

8 Emu eggs due to hatch in April (if they hatch :fl ).

3 broody hens sitting on eggs.

From Cackle:
    3 LF barred Cochins
    3 LF splash Cochins
    3 LF blue Cochins
    3 EE pullets
    3 Welsummer pullets
    3 Turken pullets
    3 brown Leghorn pullets
    3 speckled Sussex pullets

Still waiting on a ship date for the Cackle order.

Chicken math at its finest :oops:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

just curious, how does it work with Cackle? Do they tell you hatch&ship date before they ship or after they ship them? How does it work with them? sorry for the questions . although I've kept chickens for 5 years ( about) this is my first year ordering from a hatchery. I choose Meyer after getting some catalogs. I ordered in January for a April 11th hatch. They let me choose the hatch date based on availability of course. so I picked April hoping it would be warmer.I was wondering how cackle works? do they have a minimum order? My order from Meyer is very small. I got 7 female barred rocks, 1 suprise breed female layer, and 1 Golden cuckoo Maran female for a small total of 9 chicks.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    With Cackle, you place the order, then they have up to 10 days after the order is placed to arrange your ship date, then they call or send you an email. The last time I ordered from them, they sent me an email with the hatch and ship date rather quickly. But, that time I got some straight run guineas, a little easier to fill, I'd imagine. I'm not sure what their minimum is, but I did notice they charge a fee for orders under 15 chicks ($20 extra for small orders :eek: ) and they had an assortment called the small town package (or something like that). I believe it had 5 chicks in :)

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    thank you for explaining that too me. :) so not all hatcheries let you pick your ship date based on hatching days.. From what I've seen Meyers shipping is a bit high but I do like being able to pick the ship date. I guess considering what you said about "small order fees" they probably are around the same cost. I have one more question if that's ok? Do all orders ship express? Priority? or does it depend on length of trip? I noticed with Meyer folks that live far away like myself ship express, folks who live closer go priority. is that the same with Cackle? Do you know if Cackle uses heat packs for smaller orders? I'd guess large orders wouldn't need one. Thanks for your help! :)

7. jhopp6

jhopp6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    Jan/Feb Hatched 3 of my own BR/EE mutts
    - all barred, looking like boys [​IMG]

March Hatched 5 adorable Silkie chicks
    - shipped eggs

June ??? Who knows...totally addicted!

8. jhopp6

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. jhopp6

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

10. jhopp6

Aug 8, 2014
    Algoma, Wisconsin
    I have been using Brinsea products for about a year now. I absolutely love them. I have the Octagon Advance incubator with the humidity pump and it's wonderful. The "set it and forget it" phrase is so true. I bought the EcoGlow brooder last fall and love it as well. I wish I'd gotten the larger one from the get go. But......due to my serious case of chickenitis, I'm sure it won't be long before it goes from my Wish List to my Shopping Cart [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by