2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

Well, I think the hatch is over....it lasted 36 hours, so pretty good, I think. 88% hatch rate, is that good for a first timer? I still have three out of 26 in the incubator just in case they are late bloomers. The fourth one was infertile to start with. 22 thriving chicks! I will post pictures later. 6 out of 6 Black Australorps hatched, 11 out of 12 Buff Orpingtons hatched, and 5 out of 8 Black Australorp x White Leghorns hatched. I think the problem with the crosses was that the Leghorn eggs were too blunt to figure out which end was the air cell.

I will do eggtopsies on the unhatched eggs in the morning. Little scared about that. I mentioned it to my mom and she said it was stupid to feel emotional over ''some stupid un-hatched eggs''. Last time I tell her how I feel about chicken stuff. :p

You goose, I've been hatching for a year and would be thrilled by an 88% hatch. :lol:
80-90% is usually a decent average hatch rate for local eggs.

You did great!

You goose, I've been hatching for a year and would be thrilled by an 88% hatch. :lol:
80-90% is usually a decent average hatch rate for local eggs.

You did great!

Really? Yay! I got the eggs from my chickens, so it doesn't get much more local than that.

I have a fellow farming/chicken raising friend who told me not to get my hopes up for more than 50% since it was my first hatch. I was detirmined to prove her wrong, and when I see her tomorrow for hog killing, I can't wait to tell her I beat her expectations by 38%. ;)

I guess I've got good chickens and a good incubator! I'm gonna keep my eye on Ebay in hopes of finding the same model refurbished for the same price I got my first one. I like it!

Well, I think the hatch is over....it lasted 36 hours, so pretty good, I think. 88% hatch rate, is that good for a first timer? I still have three out of 26 in the incubator just in case they are late bloomers. The fourth one was infertile to start with. 22 thriving chicks! I will post pictures later. 6 out of 6 Black Australorps hatched, 11 out of 12 Buff Orpingtons hatched, and 5 out of 8 Black Australorp x White Leghorns hatched. I think the problem with the crosses was that the Leghorn eggs were too blunt to figure out which end was the air cell.

I will do eggtopsies on the unhatched eggs in the morning. Little scared about that. I mentioned it to my mom and she said it was stupid to feel emotional over ''some stupid un-hatched eggs''. Last time I tell her how I feel about chicken stuff.
tongue.png
88% is an awesome hatch rate!!

good job

A pip! And I'm stuck at work
sad.png
Ahhh
fl.gif

I will do eggtopsies on the unhatched eggs in the morning. Little scared about that. I mentioned it to my mom and she said it was stupid to feel emotional over ''some stupid un-hatched eggs''. Last time I tell her how I feel about chicken stuff.
tongue.png
Is 88% a good hatch rate? I have never hatched with a bator and I know that is great!
celebrate.gif
Especially if they were your own eggs!

MY LITTLE CALL DUCKIE HAS HATCHED!!!!!!!!!!

I shall post you all some picks when she's fluffed up. It looks like she's the only duckling going to hatch- she is already 4 days late..... Any advice for raising a single duckling? I will be giving her a mirror, and hopefully try to find her a friend, but people normally don't hatch ducklings until late spring/ summer in my area.

MY LITTLE CALL DUCKIE HAS HATCHED!!!!!!!!!!

I shall post you all some picks when she's fluffed up. It looks like she's the only duckling going to hatch- she is already 4 days late..... Any advice for raising a single duckling? I will be giving her a mirror, and hopefully try to find her a friend, but people normally don't hatch ducklings until late spring/ summer in my area.
congratulations!!!

also give it a stuffie friends, it will snuggle with it

I've used old mop heads hung in the corner with single Chickies to nestle under, with the mirror by that.. and I handled them a lot when single. My husband packed a single hatch chickie around in his pocket and he and it napped in a recliner with it on his chest, a standard gold laced Cochin.

Back
Top Bottom