2017 Zodiac Hatch-a-Long

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
This will be the thread for 2017 hatching by the moon.
The idea is to set eggs so they will hatch under the waxing moon (between new and full) and in the fruitful signs of Pisces, Cancer or Scorpio.

The dates and times I listed are for chicken eggs, extrapolate earlier or later for other species.

For more information you can refer to this thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...atch-a-long-waxing-moon-in-fruitful-signs-hal

The following dates are for my location.
The times are listed in 24 hour clock format.
To get your exact hatch times, go to the following Lunarium site and enter your location by clicking edit in the black bar near the top of the page.
http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp?calendarYear=2017&calendarMonth=0

Pisces hatch.
Set from January 8, 10:10 to January 10, 15:46.
Hatch January 29, to January 31.

Cancer hatch
Set between January 17, 01:02 to January 19, 03:40.
Hatch between February 7 and February 9.

Pisces hatch
Set between February 5, 08:05 to February 6, 22:51.
Hatch between February 26 and February 27.

Cancer hatch
Set between February 13, 06:54 to February 15, 10:45.
Hatch between March 6 and March 8.

Cancer hatch
Set between March 12, 13:26 to March 14, 17:13.
Hatch between April 2 and April 4.

The following dates aren't strictly within the guidelines but close enough if you have eggs to set then, you could try it.
The moon becomes full on April 11 and enters Scorpio at 17:41. So it is out of range but worth a try. I'll probably set on March 20 to 22.

Cancer hatch
Set between April 8, 20:47 to April 10, 23:11.
Hatch between April 29 and May 1.

Scorpio hatch
Set between April 18, 00:00 to April 19, 16:42.
Hatch between May 9 and May 10.

Cancer hatch
Set between May 6, 06:24 to May 8, 07:11
Hatch between May 27 and May 29.

Scorpio hatch
Set between May 15, 05:45 to May 17, 17:59.
Hatch between June 5 and June 7,

Cancer hatch
Set between June 2, 21:30 to June 4, 17:06.
Hatch between June 23 and June 25.

Scorpio hatch
Set between June 11, 11:59 to June 14, 00:07.
Hatch between July 2 and July 5.

Scorpio hatch
Set between July 8, 19:22 to July 11, 07:01.
Hatch between July 29 and August 1.

Interestingly, what I discovered while doing the calendar, I can ship chicks on a Monday or Tuesday doing most of these hatches.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've had too many incubator issues and other variables to make a good determination. I hope to correct those problems this year.
Besides egg turning issues and temperature swings, the breed I have has a very small gene pool which may affect things. I think I can make a better determination this year because when I do a non-zodiac hatch for comparison, I should have fewer outside variables.
The good thing is that the eggs will all be from the same closed flock.

With a species like quail that is a 17 day incubation, would I set later for hatching on the full moon, or set at the same time (new moon) and have them hatch before the full moon?

With a species like quail that is a 17 day incubation, would I set later for hatching on the full moon, or set at the same time (new moon) and have them hatch before the full moon?

You would set 4 days earlier than the set dates I listed.

It isn't about hatching on the full moon. You want to hatch between the new moon and full. Just the same as you would plant above ground crops during the same period.
Below ground crops are planted from the full moon to the end of the 3rd quarter.
4th quarter is for weeding and brush clearing.

So cool!! I've never heard of this! The older farmer men at our church growing up would tell us when it was time to plant ____ whatever crop, and when we were expecting which freeze (blackberry, dogwood, etc). They went off the almanacs - is this the same kind of thing?

So cool!! I've never heard of this! The older farmer men at our church growing up would tell us when it was time to plant ____ whatever crop, and when we were expecting which freeze (blackberry, dogwood, etc). They went off the almanacs - is this the same kind of thing?

It is very similar. The dates are listed in the Farmer's almanac but I originally found it on a thread here about 6 years or so ago. I think there's a link to the original thread in the 2016 Zodiac HAL thread.

My mother used to tell us when sows were to have litters or when cows would calve by the moon. I'm not sure how scientific her methods were but she was usually right.

At any rate, it gives us an opportunity for another dozen hatches between now and August.

Last edited:
pop.gif
Subscribing!

Welcome one and all.

I think this is more of a public service than a normal Hatch a Long. But hopefully lots of people will be trying this and even hatching at other times and sharing their results.

Back
Top Bottom