2018 Newbie Chat!

Pics
Well Casper has decided to start pecking at my husband now too. So we decided to put Big Red in there to knock him down a peg. He was getting a little too comfortable being on top. The craziness now that it caused oh my gosh! Casper tried to mount one of the girls and Big Red chased him all over the coop and run. Then just started chasing all the pullets too. We're going to take him out and put him back in the prefab. We let Dwight and Deadpool out for free ranging while the girls were in the coop and they went crazy trying to get to them. I can't imagine how rough they would be if they were able to get to them. How much longer until the hormones settle down?:barnie
I feel you!:hugs

My stubborn broody EE is back in the garage on lockdown as of yesterday. She escaped the dog kennel yesterday by learning how to unlatch it, I found her roaming my garage and promptly put her back in the cage(I have bungy cords locking the door now). I’m going to buy a metal rabbit cage tomorrow as being broody seems to be her thing now. Yesterday she dehydrated herself so bad that I had to give her nutri-drench. She’s lost so much weight in the last month being on/off broody. If she continues to be this stubborn I may just let her hatch eggs even though I don’t have room for many more chickens.

First week of consistent eggs!

IMG_20180708_105824.jpg

IMG_20180708_085825.jpg

Still only the three laying: Moana, Elsa, and I haven't figured out which EE.

My babies will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and I wanted to share their recent pictures. I know how much I love peeping everyone’s growing babes!

DC9F1B54-9B7D-4276-BFE0-DA7F8A2B9A32.jpeg

2D61C0C4-E7C2-411A-BE87-9ECF9B8AD540.jpeg

This is Poppy our Swedish Flower Hen. She is seriously the sweetest! What a breed.

0F71458B-9E0A-4F44-A45C-746B5D04E82B.jpeg

This is Zelda our Olive Egger.

E2331653-93DB-431E-AA4E-03D924A2710F.jpeg

This is Rumi our Favaucana.

1487D319-2938-46E1-82BD-4BCD252D2AF5.jpeg

This is Frida our Easter Egger.

3851AD42-AD10-45E5-9FB3-C9A9D1933EDC.jpeg

Buckbeak, our Welsummer.

60942E6F-888D-4E56-BBFD-DA36C282A39E.jpeg

Chicken Little, our Black Copper Marans runt.

4566328C-B348-4541-83F9-CB8659BB9F22.jpeg

Pig, our Splash Ameraucana. My baby.

They are so fun!

My stubborn broody EE is back in the garage on lockdown as of yesterday. She escaped the dog kennel yesterday by learning how to unlatch it, I found her roaming my garage and promptly put her back in the cage(I have bungy cords locking the door now). I’m going to buy a metal rabbit cage tomorrow as being broody seems to be her thing now. Yesterday she dehydrated herself so bad that I had to give her nutri-drench. She’s lost so much weight in the last month being on/off broody. If she continues to be this stubborn I may just let her hatch eggs even though I don’t have room for many more chickens.

She must be really smart to figure out how to get out of there. Wow!
I have two friends with chickens that have had broodys that will take their broodyness to extremes.
One of them will be broody for months.
My other friends broody ended up killing herself because she raised 3 clutches in a row and just dropped dead because she was in such bad shape.
Her birds free range and this hen would hide her nest all the time.

You might consider getting her some day old chicks and see if she’ll accept them.
You could just get 3 or 4 sex links or something so you can sell them after they feather out. That way you know they’re pullets.
Tractor Supply is supposed to have chicks again later this month.
Or fertilized eggs, like you mentioned. But with that scenario you’ll have to deal with cockerels.

This is what one of my friends with a broody did...
Because we knew I was going to be getting chickens soon, we agreed that I would pay for the chicks and she would let her broody raise them and then I would take them after they were feathered out. By that time it was early November so her hen Phoebe didn’t go broody again until the next summer.
I think they were about 8-10 weeks when I took them.
Those 4 chicks are my sex link & 3 Wyandottes.
It worked out great for us.

My babies will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and I wanted to share their recent pictures. I know how much I love peeping everyone’s growing babes!

View attachment 1460258
View attachment 1460259
This is Poppy our Swedish Flower Hen. She is seriously the sweetest! What a breed.

View attachment 1460260
This is Zelda our Olive Egger.

View attachment 1460262
This is Rumi our Favaucana.

View attachment 1460263
This is Frida our Easter Egger.

View attachment 1460264
Buckbeak, our Welsummer.

View attachment 1460265
Chicken Little, our Black Copper Marans runt.

View attachment 1460266
Pig, our Splash Ameraucana. My baby.

They are so fun!
Lovely group! :love
Now you’ve done it...I was thinking about getting some SFH and your Poppy is just gorgeous.
I saw some with big floppy combs and that scared me off because we have fairly cold winters here.

Your names are great!
What’s the story behind naming Buckbeak and Pig?

Lovely group! :love
Now you’ve done it...I was thinking about getting some SFH and your Poppy is just gorgeous.
I saw some with big floppy combs and that scared me off because we have fairly cold winters here.

Your names are great!
What’s the story behind naming Buckbeak and Pig?

Thank you! My daughter chose the name Buckbeak, I believe it’s a Hipogriph from Harry Potter. And I just really wanted to name one of my chickens Pig :lol:

She must be really smart to figure out how to get out of there. Wow!
I have two friends with chickens that have had broodys that will take their broodyness to extremes.
One of them will be broody for months.
My other friends broody ended up killing herself because she raised 3 clutches in a row and just dropped dead because she was in such bad shape.
Her birds free range and this hen would hide her nest all the time.

You might consider getting her some day old chicks and see if she’ll accept them.
You could just get 3 or 4 sex links or something so you can sell them after they feather out. That way you know they’re pullets.
Tractor Supply is supposed to have chicks again later this month.
Or fertilized eggs, like you mentioned. But with that scenario you’ll have to deal with cockerels.

This is what one of my friends with a broody did...
Because we knew I was going to be getting chickens soon, we agreed that I would pay for the chicks and she would let her broody raise them and then I would take them after they were feathered out. By that time it was early November so her hen Phoebe didn’t go broody again until the next summer.
I think they were about 8-10 weeks when I took them.
Those 4 chicks are my sex link & 3 Wyandottes.
It worked out great for us.
It’s the second time she’s escaped. She’s just clucking away in the garage. I’ve been trying to get her to drink or eat anything and she just won’t have it. All she wants are those eggs! If she doesn’t break in a week, I’ll give her three or four Ameraucana eggs. If I could get my hands on some fertilized showgirl eggs I’m sure I could get DH to build me a little coop for just them.

It’s the second time she’s escaped. She’s just clucking away in the garage. I’ve been trying to get her to drink or eat anything and she just won’t have it. All she wants are those eggs! If she doesn’t break in a week, I’ll give her three or four Ameraucana eggs. If I could get my hands on some fertilized showgirl eggs I’m sure I could get DH to build me a little coop for just them.
Ooh Showgirls! :love
Do you have Silkies?
I don’t know if you know this but there’s at least one hatchery that offers bantam NN.
So...you know, you could make your own Showgirls lol. ;)

Back
Top Bottom