2018 Newbie Chat!

My chickies are doing well active and busy!!!

Attachments

• DAAB1669-9809-4A58-A1A4-E5C76312DD2C.jpeg
    DAAB1669-9809-4A58-A1A4-E5C76312DD2C.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 6210AD22-3E6F-4E49-BBD7-3EB1B5152712.jpeg
    6210AD22-3E6F-4E49-BBD7-3EB1B5152712.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 4
  • C8AD92FF-A242-458D-B46C-848AD1A30BDD.jpeg
    C8AD92FF-A242-458D-B46C-848AD1A30BDD.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A70C861C-0FCC-4BC3-AC5C-C2CD162B38FC.jpeg
    A70C861C-0FCC-4BC3-AC5C-C2CD162B38FC.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 4
  • 83C69268-EEB8-4D03-B740-19F7F4995DE9.jpeg
    83C69268-EEB8-4D03-B740-19F7F4995DE9.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 27AAD9C9-03E5-4DF9-9157-819AD749688E.jpeg
    27AAD9C9-03E5-4DF9-9157-819AD749688E.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 4
All my EEs turned out totally different!
I made an article just so I could save the pictures of them growing up.
Speaking of EEs, Belle finally laid her actual first egg today. I know for sure this time because I caught her in the act.
IMG_20180719_170405.jpg

The little feather brain laid in the hardest to reach corner of the RUN. I don't think she knew what was happening. She looked so confused and dumbfounded!
Hopefully she learns what's up and lays in the nest box next time. Kida learned after her first one .

Here is Belle's egg next to one of Kida's. It looks the same color but maybe a bit darker.
IMG_20180719_170846.jpg

Question for all you Newbies!
Do any of you regret getting any breeds? If you do, what would you have gotten instead and why?
Great question Peepers!

I regret my Silver Laced Wyandottes.
I actually didn’t choose this breed myself.
My neighbors hen was broody for many weeks.
Her and I decided that since I would be getting my chickens soon she would purchase some chicks at TS and let her broody raise them. She got 1 gold sex link and 3 SLW.
Then I would take them after they were feathered out.
That part worked like a charm but after having them here for 9 months I’m not a fan.
They’re really loud a lot of the time and bullies when it comes to food and treats. They also love to peck my boys when they’re on the roost.
All of my teenagers are afraid of them even after a month to six weeks after integrating.
Red, the sex link, is pretty chill and will only dominate them if they step up on her first and then it’s on, lol.
I’m rehoming them to my friend Kat who lost hers to a dog attack.
But not for a while yet because if I get rid of them now Red will be my only mature LF hen and I don’t want her constantly harassed by Angus, Bubelah (Loki) and Frodo.
BTW...Red squatted for Frodo yesterday and let him breed her! The Wyandottes chase all the boys away.

The jury is still out on the other breeds I have because they’re still chicks.

Just wondering how big your coop is- not including the run. Thanks. Your chicks are beautiful.
Thanks! We bought this coop from TS and made a few modifications to help it last, we still need to reinforce the nesting boxes so they won’t droop.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...hicken-resort-for-18-20-chickens?cm_vc=-10005
I believe the coop is plenty big, I wish the run was larger. We are going to build an additional chicken yard/run on the side of the house that receives shade all day. That way next summer in this high desert Southern CA heat should go much smoother!
29A42B23-7DB3-4C5B-8783-05F8651ADA48.jpeg

Question for all you Newbies!
Do any of you regret getting any breeds? If you do, what would you have gotten instead and why?

I regret my Barred Plymouth Rocks.
I wanted dual purpose breeds so we could cull after they quit laying as frequently. Everyone claims how sweet and inquisitive they are. Plus they’re one of the best egg layers. All lies, my rocks are dumb. Problematic and aggressive to all my other breeds. I’m currently battling bumblefoot on all of them because they fly and jump where they really shouldn’t. I’ll never get any rock again or anything crossed with them for that matter. Currently DH and I are contemplating an early cull as they maybe lay two eggs a week. Dud for a breed.

I regret my Barred Plymouth Rocks.
I wanted dual purpose breeds so we could cull after they quit laying as frequently. Everyone claims how sweet and inquisitive they are. Plus they’re one of the best egg layers. All lies, my rocks are dumb. Problematic and aggressive to all my other breeds. I’m currently battling bumblefoot on all of them because they fly and jump where they really shouldn’t. I’ll never get any rock again or anything crossed with them for that matter. Currently DH and I are contemplating an early cull as they maybe lay two eggs a week. Dud for a breed.
Oh that’s too bad!
Where did you get them?
I often hear that getting the same breed from a different hatchery/breeder can have better results since it’s not from the same line. :idunno
Although some online companies that sell chicks actually source them from elsewhere so it pays to do a little research.
I have 2 types of Rocks: partridge and silver penciled.
I chose them for feather color/patterns and egg laying ability (hopefully).
I hope I don’t regret them also :fl
Of course, that just gives me an excuse to try other breeds! ;)

Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.
I chose Australorps for egg laying reputation and that they’ll lay in winter.
I chose Speckled Sussex because of their reputation as sweet birds that are non-aggressive.
The EE are just for fun.

This morning I introduced my 2 new batches of babies.
It went ridiculously well lol.
The 11 day olds stood bunched together and stared at the 4 day olds from across the kiddie pool.
The 4 day olds ignored the older chicks and were more concerned about their brooder looking very different all of a sudden.
I pulled a large plug of sod for them to entertain themselves and they forgot all about the newcomers.
Now they act like they’ve always been together.
4000FA9D-ADAE-441E-8917-B7DA672BA6DD.jpeg

Boy they love their sod!
1E2DBB37-EC7F-4553-99E6-92CB49666268.jpeg

FF6577AC-E1CF-4A02-830F-2A9E8E4C554C.jpeg

Things sure are crowded in there.
It’s a good thing we’re moving the prefab next week when my son comes to visit.
After we do that, the bantams will be put in the walk-in coop with the 5 LF birds (I’ll be rehoming the Wyandotte bullies at the same time) so I can use the prefab as a grow out coop for the chicks.
Once the older birds are used to seeing the chicks and the chicks get bigger they’ll go in the walk-in and the bantams will go back to the prefab. :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom