2018 Newbie Chat!

Ok Well, the attacks are down to a minimum and with less violence plus we have days with no attacks at all - however.... Pedro and Jellybean have taken to mounting Roo and "breeding" her. I have been reassured this is " normal" behaviour amongst hens especially when no rooster is present and is not only to do with dominance but also because it is spring and the girls get frisky - I guess it beats getting pecked.... Maybe...?

Ok Well, the attacks are down to a minimum and with less violence plus we have days with no attacks at all - however.... Pedro and Jellybean have taken to mounting Roo and "breeding" her. I have been reassured this is " normal" behaviour amongst hens especially when no rooster is present and is not only to do with dominance but also because it is spring and the girls get frisky - I guess it beats getting pecked.... Maybe...?

Since I removed the two tbere hadn't been really any arguing. Obviously Dorothy and Blanche are at the bottom. If they didn't scream I don't think the pecking would continue. Dorothy's feathers seem to be growing back. Once that happens I'm going to try putting the two back in. I'll have to watch until I can seperate for good.

Little one is growing but oh so slow. She has such big eyes. All her feathers seem to be in so I leave the hear lamp on at night for now.

I have two that are super friendly. The sapphire gem is by far the friendliest little girl. She comes flying at me and jumps in my lap every time. One of the eE's is almost as friendly--no name yet.

Does anyone have any sapphire gems?

Jade finally started laying! And did she ever make a big nest, lol. She fluffed up the nesting material about six inches up on the edges. I think she completely disappears in it when she sits! All of them used her nest today. She had a few stripes of blood on the egg, poor thing. :( I know that can happen with first eggs but i still feel for her. She's my littlest one.
So here's a picture of all 4 of today's eggs in a little bowl. Jade's is the blue one. I took the picture outside in natural light. The green/blue of eggs looks different in artificial light. Maybe because we have all fluorescent bulbs, I don't know.

View attachment 1722051

I love my bantams! Poop is definitely smaller. I couldn't believe the huge poops when I took care of my daughter's chickens when she was gone. Wow!
Eggs are smaller, but that's ok. There are only 2 of us eating them. I've read from 2 to 2 1/2 bantam eggs equals a large egg. I want to get a scale so I can see what the difference is with mine.

Diamond isn't biting me anymore. She pecked at my hand today but it wasn't they grab on and chomp down like before. I picked her up and carried her around anyway. I think she likes to be carried. I knew Jade was close to laying because she let me pet her and she squatted, plus she was in the nest box a lot today. I've been gone the past week so didn't seethe changes till today. She used to never let me touch her. So I'm happy with the personality changes of laying.
Gorgeous eggs!:love

Angus is going away!!
Yesterday he spurred DH! :mad:

DH has a puncture wound on his leg.

We were going to send Angus to freezer camp but I decided to post him in a Facebook group I’m a part of called Treasure Valley Backyard Chickens.
I offered him for free and got an immediate response from a man who lives about 45 minutes away and has 40 hens.
I’m glad Angus will get another chance.

I did disclose his aggression towards DH and that he’s never been around kids.
He’s meeting DH tomorrow at 5:30 to take him.
Oh no! I've read many stories of how painful spurs can be. I hope he's up to date on his tetanus shot and it doesn't hurt too bad.

DH put new shavings in the coop last weekend. I collected eggs Wednesday and realized we were a couple short than the norm. Went in last night and in the corner of my eye spotted an egg in the coop floor. I'm like come on girls! We could've stepped on it. Then noticed this!
20190404_195659.jpg
Haha. Chickens are funny!

DH put new shavings in the coop last weekend. I collected eggs Wednesday and realized we were a couple short than the norm. Went in last night and in the corner of my eye spotted an egg in the coop floor. I'm like come on girls! We could've stepped on it. Then noticed this!
View attachment 1727068
Haha. Chickens are funny!
Thats so funny!

Angus made it to his new home yesterday evening and I’m told he settled in well.
The man who took him has been looking for a NN rooster for a long time and was just tickled to have him.
He does have another, older rooster but he says he is not very aggressive and has a mild personality.
With 40 hens I think they’ll work it out.
Angus always chased Oliver but he never beat him up or drew blood so I don’t feel he is terribly aggressive either.
I’m feeling pretty good about the whole thing now.

AND our broodys eggs are due to hatch Monday.
I’ve only candled the one time so I have no idea how it’ll go.
I was thinking of splitting the two broodys up with two eggs each.
I’m afraid they may fight over the chicks!

Back
Top Bottom