2019 Spring Ducklings are here!

@Miss Lydia I think they need a bigger pool they want to swim and dive! They are precious @SailorNoMore
Here they are in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Only one is a underwater swimmer. They all appeared to enjoy themselves. They are a week old today. They do not appear to like mealworms and even less so with diced watermelon in water.
Week old Ancona in 2019.jpg

This is 20 seconds of my four 5 day old Ancona enjoying their third day of water exercise. They were moved to the tub today because yesterday two of them surprised the wife by jumping from their pool inside the sink onto the vanity. Four can be a handful while I was cleaning the brooder next door. From their markings, it looks like three of them will have more solid black on their back than what I want for breeding stock. We will see what they look like as they grow larger. I think that you will agree that they like part of their day. The you tube address of the video is:

It is truly amazing to me how ducklings have the instinct to do zoomies as soon as they are in the water for the first time, even with no mama duck around!

@WannaBeHillBilly I ordered four females but I will have to wait to voice sex them to be sure. We are waiting for their personalities to develop before assigning names, so they may not be spot on. If I get one drake that is Okay, but not anymore.
Weelllll, if you have more than one drake, you have the best excuse to get more duckies! ;)
And yes, i too wait before i give them names, sometimes i look and interact with a duck and a name pops into my mind…

@Miss Lydia I think they need a bigger pool they want to swim and dive! They are precious @SailorNoMore
Here they are in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. Only one is a underwater swimmer. They all appeared to enjoy themselves. They are a week old today. They do not appear to like mealworms and even less so with diced watermelon in water. View attachment 1803051
:woot - duckies who don't like meal-worms?! - Are you sure they haven't sent you Ancona Goslings? :gig

My ducklings have grown 155g in one week. They weighed a total of 534g upon arrival and 689g now and their size growth is hard to believe. It will not be long before I have to add additional height to the Mama Heat Cave so they can still use it for a sanctuary.
I never did. I had some of the ducklings crawling on their bellies inside, some were just hopping on top, but in the end they abandoned it.
Good numbers for the weight gain, i guess you got 10 times that weight in poop?

Back
Top Bottom