2020 Fall Ducklings 🦆💖

SailorNoMore

Crowing
May 15, 2018
near Olympia, WA
WannaBeHillBilly, Harrison County in Texas? - I remember the area as very lush and green, but a bit swampy. We drove through there on our road trip to Memphis, TN.

I did not explore much of the county the month that we lived there assisting our daughter-in-law while her husband was overseas. Our house is in a clearing on nine acres of trees on a dead end road.

WannaBeHillBilly

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
WannaBeHillBilly, Harrison County in Texas? - I remember the area as very lush and green, but a bit swampy. We drove through there on our road trip to Memphis, TN.

I did not explore much of the county the month that we lived there assisting our daughter-in-law while her husband was overseas. Our house is in a clearing on nine acres of trees on a dead end road.
Dead End! - That sounds like paradise to me, you won't have no through traffic.

Chaverah

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2020
Montana
It looks like it will be a spring arrival for us to Harrison county. There is a long delay in getting the wood floors replaced. They will not be installed until Dec 18th. I took three drakes to auction to trim the flock down to 8 hens and two drakes. I will keep this size until we arrive in our new home.
Is that considered a good ratio of ducks to drakes? I’m newish to ducks. Thinking of getting 3 muscovy ducks and 1 runner drake and raising the babies for meat.

Chaverah

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2020
Montana
Thank you! I’m just a little nervous about the Muscovy drakes... heard they are very possessive and can be unpleasant. I’m also thinking of having a couple of hens and thought the smaller drake might be safer in that regard. I’m not worried about the babies being sterile... but I didn’t think about them being too small for meat.

Muscovy and runners (mallards) are different species. I don't know how many babies you would get, but they would all be sterile. Runners are tiny ducks and usually don't have much meat. And to answer your ratio, 3 to 4 hens per drake.

WannaBeHillBilly

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
WannaBeHillBilly Dead End! - That sounds like paradise to me, you won't have no through traffic.

Our neighbors are not very friendly & outgoing, they are cemetery residents. We can not see it but we know they are just down the road from us.
Guess what: I have a little private cemetery on my land!
We didn't knew it before we bought the property and my wife is scared about this.

Top Bottom