2021 Gosling Hatch-a-Long

Okay @FoodFreedomNow , I've been (im) patiently waiting for baby pics. 😂
How did the rest of your hatch go???
:gigThe hatch went pretty well...all except the odd one hatched. The one that didn't hatch never internally pipped and when I eggtopsied it, it seemed almost like there was still albumen left surrounding the gosling - very thick and viscous. Everyone else's egg contents looked normal, so I guess something just didn't go as needed for this little girl to have hatched. 🙁

A new home was already waiting for most of the group, so just 2 very cute boys are left. Mowing and aerial predator deterrence team, anyone? 😉

I have two more hatches set, but I think the laying season will be drawing to a close soon, so these may be it. Thanks for asking!

Attachments

• PXL_20210527_201558694.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20210527_201558694.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Snapper, a Toulouse, hatched seven eggs yesterday. Given that Ryobi was a horrible mother a few weeks ago, I decided not to trust the mothering instinct too much. I also grabbed an egg that had already pipped when I kidnapped the goslings. It hatched this morning, but I'm not taking any credit for that. It's a photogenic little group so I'll probably force them to sit for pictures soon.
:pop

I've had really poor performance from shipped eggs this year, but got some American Blues yesterday so I will be dealing with them for another month. My two pilgrims from the four eggs set last month are fine and sassy. Both girls, so I have five more in the incubator right now hoping for a male. Only three look promising though. They should hatch at the end of the week.
Is it straying in to politics to say I can't stand the Postmaster General? It seems dishonest to take 5 days to deliver a 2nd day package because the post office no longer guarantees delivery. To miss it by that much you kinda have to try. My hatch rates on shipped eggs were 50% once, 20% once (with leg problems) And 0% four times this year and I blame most of it on the post office. Last year all my shipped eggs had hatch rates higher than 80%.

The American Blues/Buff/Lavender eggs arrived today. The seller shipped an extra which was good since one had a crack. No leakage so I think the membrane is intact and some surgical tape can hold it together for a month. I'll candle tonight to see how the air cells have settled and probably set the in the morning

The pilgrim(s) went into lockdown. Of the five, two were non starters and two were quitters so I only have one that I really hope hatches. If it doesn't, or it's not a male, I'll probably just find a breeder within a four or five hour drive and buy a young gander this fall.

My shipped goose eggs also got bounced around terribly by USPS, so I'm no fan. My rates on the shipped eggs - including chicken - have been 0% (x2 for chicken) and 0% (x2) for goose over the past year. Prior years saw much better hatch rates and very little saddling/scrambling. I'm already pretty teed off with them...if shipping isn't the USPS's core competency, WTH is?? I wish there were viable alternatives!

Hope your Americans do well!

I know, all these that I've hatched are slated for new homes.

I did hatch an emu yesterday though so at least I have that baby to keep, haha.
WOW! You hatched an EMU? GOODNESS! My eldest child & I had to help Animal Control come get an emu from my front yard when we were stationed in Florida, 20+ yrs ago. (We lived 30 miles from base on a tiny, 2 acre piece of property with 3 horses, dogs, chickens, & 5 kids at the time!) Apparently one escaped from a farm and tried to get in with my horses. (My horses weren't impressed, too say the least!) & it was a comedy of errors trying to first get a sleeve cut from a sweatshirt onto this fully grown emu..... mind you, I'm only 5'3", and the AC officer wasn't much taller!

The officer had me straddle this enormous bird she's gotten to lay down (once the sleeve goes on,) & I'm standing there, over top of this thing, holding pressure on its back AND praying she'd be back soon. (I am NOT heroine material!)

The sleeve slides off, and off goes the emu...(I let go immediately! it was way bigger than me! I told you... not brave!)

When she does finally return, it's with bungee cords!?

We corner the emu a 2nd time, pull the sleeve back over its head, collapse it, & put the 2 bungee cords around its legs & body.

I get to straddle it again, but this time I hold the sleeve in place while she goes to get a large Vari Kennel. Unfortunately, it's not screwed together! My quick thinking daughter got enough of the screws in so we're able to slide the kennel under the bird & lock the door!

All this to say you are brave!😉

Last edited:
WOW! You hatched an EMU? GOODNESS! My eldest child & I had to help Animal Control come get an emu from my front yard when we were stationed in Florida, 20+ yrs ago. (We lived 30 miles from base on a tiny, 2 acre piece of property with 3 horses, dogs, chickens, & 5 kids at the time!) Apparently one escaped from a farm and tried to get in with my horses. (My horses weren't impressed, too say the least!) & it was a comedy of errors trying to first get a sleeve cut from a sweatshirt onto this fully grown emu..... mind you, I'm only 5'3", and the AC officer wasn't much taller!

The officer has me straddle this enormous bird she's gotten to lay down (once the sleeve goes on,) & I'm standing there, over top of this thing, holding pressure on its back AND praying she'd be back soon. (I am NOT heroine material!)

The sleeve slides off, and off goes the emu...(I let go immediately! it was way bigger than me! I told you... not brave!)

When she does finally return, it's with bungee cords!?

We corner the emu a 2nd time, pull the sleeve back over its head, collapse it, & put the 2 bungee cords around its legs & body.

I get to straddle it, mlmagain, but this time I hold the sleeve in place while she goes to get a large Vari Kennel. Unfortunately, it's not screwed together! My quick thinking daughter got enough of the screws in so we're able to slide the kennel under the bird & lock the door!

All this to say you are brave!😉

Lol!

If this should happen to you again, the trick is to get behind the bird and grab its wings. At that point you have control of the bird. Then just don't let go!

Not that it'll probably happen again, lol :p

I have four emus. Two adults, one hatched and raised by me, the other an unrelated male I purchased to be her mate. And two juveniles, one Standard and one Blonde, hatched this year.

Lol!

If this should happen to you again, the trick is to get behind the bird and grab its wings. At that point you have control of the bird. Then just don't let go!

Not that it'll probably happen again, lol :p

I have four emus. Two adults, one hatched and raised by me, the other an unrelated male I purchased to be her mate. And two juveniles, one Standard and one Blonde, hatched this year.

I'm hoping to add emus to my flock next year 🤞 This year was meat chicks and geese. (Last year I got my layer flock and turkeys) My husband is beginning to wonder when my mixed flock will be completed 🤣

I'm hoping to add emus to my flock next year 🤞 This year was meat chicks and geese. (Last year I got my layer flock and turkeys) My husband is beginning to wonder when my mixed flock will be completed 🤣

Laying season starts as early as October and can go through early April for emus :) This year my pair started in January.

So get yourself ready in the Fall, haha! And remember, it's more like getting a horse than a chicken. Lots of space, six foot tall fence.

Laying season starts as early as October and can go through early April for emus :) This year my pair started in January.

So get yourself ready in the Fall, haha! And remember, it's more like getting a horse than a chicken. Lots of space, six foot tall fence.
Don't tell my husband about comparing it to a horse. He doesn't do horses 🤣. But seriously, he didn't want any animals so I'm happy to have what I do. 14 layers, 22 turkeys, 25 meat chickens and 8 geese.

Update on the shipped eggs saga: down to just 1 egg still developing. :th

I'm not holding my breath on actually seeing a live gosling from this seller's eggs. While USPS did its usual handling, I've received 3 groups of eggs now from this source and I really suspect there may be other factors contributing to the poor hatch rates. Let's just say I will be sourcing new stock elsewhere in the future. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom