2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

Pics
Both males on different nests.

Day 13 and day 10 🐣.

On day 30 I'll investigate and see if I can smell any bad eggs.

Let's hope we get no weather extremes!

20230122_143027.jpg
20230122_143037.jpg
20230122_143054.jpg
20230122_143101.jpg
20230122_143322.jpg
20230122_143348.jpg
20230122_143355.jpg

These are just wonderful photos. Thanks so much. So, you built the nest? The wild males hardly make any nest!!

SE

Last edited:
Will you be able to provide a running commentary of the two incubations? It would be wonderful data!! We did it once here at Planet Rothschildi in Western Australia.

By the last two weeks, the male would fall asleep. His head would do the S-bend thing until it was resting on his body. He'd be asleep. But he'd wake up, and be like, 'I wasn't asleep!! I was just resting my eyes!!'

[Got a breeding-pair here at the house-clearing. It's Toosh Toosh's 'fourth chick,' now a young male. He has turned up, with his consort, for the plums. And at this point, he is doing well. She now comes up almost to the garden to get a few grains of wheat.]

Very nice. Whats it likes for them to hatch them selves? I have plans to let my male sit on a few when it gets warmer. Anything I should know?
It's my first time naturally hatching emu chick's so my information would not be as good as others in this form! I would advise keeping an eye on where they lay, making sure it's flood proof. One of my males also stopped brooding last year as his nesting site got really muddy due to his female walking near him the whole time and going to the toilet around his nest when she slept next to the male.

These are just wonderful photos. Thanks so much. So, you built the nest? The wild males hardly make any nest!!

SE
Yes I helped build the nest as they started brooding. I noticed that they don't like nest change when they're breeding and laying. I used dried up dead dock leaf plant material. They don't like hay as it doesn't dry up when it rain's. I also did it as they seemed to move more into the field where it can get flooded with puddles of water, so I used branches to keep them in one place. They seem to love the material so that's a plus!

Will you be able to provide a running commentary of the two incubations? It would be wonderful data!! We did it once here at Planet Rothschildi in Western Australia.

By the last two weeks, the male would fall asleep. His head would do the S-bend thing until it was resting on his body. He'd be asleep. But he'd wake up, and be like, 'I wasn't asleep!! I was just resting my eyes!!'

[Got a breeding-pair here at the house-clearing. It's Toosh Toosh's 'fourth chick,' now a young male. He has turned up, with his consort, for the plums. And at this point, he is doing well. She now comes up almost to the garden to get a few grains of wheat.]
Unfortunately I'll be at university for the next few weeks so I won't be able to provide weekly data, however, whenever I come home I'll keep ye up to date. They're content now and I'm comfortable enough leaving for university knowing nothing will cause any issues. I'll be home every weekend around the hatch dates!

What are the average amount of days a male emu takes to hatch eggs naturally? I've set my calendar to 55 days, which is when I'll be home frequently for the babies. I know incubators are faster.

The literature says 7-8 weeks. But Boy Emu's hatch took four days.

'she slept next to the male.'? Interesting.

SE

Back
Top Bottom