2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

Pics
'
What is external pipping?

What is absorbing yolk?

SE
The visible hole in the egg when hatching is the external pip.

Absorbing the yolk is when they slurp the rest up real quick at the end so they can gtfo of that cramped egg'

I have always thought assisting chicks was sub-optimal. But I have no knowledge of this stuff, so I have said nothing.

Meanwhile: was out on a bush track when an adult emu barreled out of the bush, up the track for 100 yards, and back into the bush.

When I saw the tracks -- very slight decline -- I went home and got a tape measure.

Three paces was exactly 24 feet. That's 8 feet per stride.

se

I might have lost my first batch of eggs.

We have never lost power at this house for more than an hour or two. We had a snowstorm on Friday, but it wasn't even a big one. Probably about a foot of snow over like 18 hours.

But 11 pm Friday the power went out.

They did not restore it until 6 pm Saturday. So 19 hours. I had put the eggs in 24 hours before.
I wonder if you will have no problems from this? 🤔

I don’t know anything about how emu embryos might differ from other birds, but if they were only 24 hours in, they might be able to handle being suspended for a bit. If you think about how hens build their clutch one egg at a time, and those first eggs get warmed up for a period of time every 24 or 48 hours, depending on species, each time a new egg gets laid. Maybe an “on again, off again” schedule won’t hurt them when they are that young.

I guess we will only know later on, if you end up with a good hatch or a bad hatch.

I wonder if you will have no problems from this? 🤔

I don’t know anything about how emu embryos might differ from other birds, but if they were only 24 hours in, they might be able to handle being suspended for a bit. If you think about how hens build their clutch one egg at a time, and those first eggs get warmed up for a period of time every 24 or 48 hours, depending on species, each time a new egg gets laid. Maybe an “on again, off again” schedule won’t hurt them when they are that young.

I guess we will only know later on, if you end up with a good hatch or a bad hatch.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping since they were only 24 hours in, they hadn't really developed enough for this to cause damage.

Baby emu hatched this morning!

It hasn’t really started walking yet, it scoots around the brooder and stands up a bit like in the below pic, but it doesn’t walk. Mostly just sleeps and cheeps back at me when I whistle or cheep at it. Is not walking normal for the first day?

FD4C6BF7-7108-4BAE-A412-A79C04835CBA.jpeg

Baby emu hatched this morning!

It hasn’t really started walking yet, it scoots around the brooder and stands up a bit like in the below pic, but it doesn’t walk. Mostly just sleeps and cheeps back at me when I whistle or cheep at it. Is not walking normal for the first day?

View attachment 3354947
It can take 3 even 4 days for them to find their sea legs and gain enough energy. They will lay around, sleep and not eat or drink. Offer it from time to time.

Now it’s time to hold the baby with no poops in your shirt!

I'll be joining this thread! My two pairs are both laying. My two males are not eating anymore and abandoning their females while sticking close to their nests. The males also have zero interest in me whereas a few days ago they would follow me in the field.

First pair laid their first egg mid-December. They laid in a flood prone location so i moved the nest not more than 2 meters away and they abandoned the nest completely and laid in a better location. My second pair started laying end December, laid in an awful location too and I moved the nest 10 cm away and they abandoned the nest too and found a better location. My emus will notice the smallest difference. Both females lay every 3 days exactly, while sometimes every 2 days.

My first pair had 7 eggs in their nest and decided to take over the second pairs nest abandoning their eggs. Why they abandoned their own nest is beyond me. Vladimir the male emu seems like hes going to sit tomorrow or the day after (he sits on the eggs and gets off), so he's preparing I assume. I grabbed the eggs Vladimir abandoned and put them in the nest he stole and put the second pairs eggs in the abandoned nest of the first pair (Vladimir's eggs are older so it's best they get incubated first). Vladimir has nine eggs in his nest and I was wondering if that is too much? I know Vladimir's mate will probably lay 1 or 2 more eggs.

Another problem, since the first pair took over my second pairs nest, will my second pair use the nest the first pair abandoned? I did put the 4 eggs that they laid in that nest but seeing how picky my emus are, I feel like the second pair is going to lay somewhere else now.

I'm planning on moving both females in my first field once both males sit on their eggs as last year the females slept and hung around the sitting males. The females made the area muddy and used the nest areas as bathrooms which was a nightmare for keeping the eggs clean.

Hope to have a few chicks this year!

Back
Top Bottom