2022 Chick Order

Shipping updated on my last chicks of the year! I could have sworn I scheduled for June, but it’s on my calendar too 🤦🏽‍♀️ Thought I had more time to switch out the Welsummer pullet for a BCM, oops…

8 porcelain D’Uccle
5 bantam buff Brahmas
1 Green Queen
1 Welsummer
1 meal maker (Olive Egger, blue Orpington, or Cream Legbar this week)

I did sell 3 of my started pullets today, so we’re down a Whiting True Blue, Welsummer, and lavender Orpington. Then I’m picking up a BCM cockerel the same age as my older pullets 😬 Olive eggs on the horizon!

Is everyone pretty much done for the year? Do you prefer fall babies that are ready to start laying by spring?

My chicks will be here next month! Local hatchery pickup weekend of 17th, McM order shipping 20th, and hatching eggs should hatch the same weekend! Go big or go home I say! 😂 We will have 3 brooders with a max of 48 chicks (if all 18 eggs hatch). 4 are going to a friend at 4 weeks, 6-7 are for my own coop, 25 to the farm flock, 4-5 to my FIL, which leaves a max of 8 to sell or give away. DH has converted the garage to a brooding room for the month of July…I don’t know what I’ve gotten myself into! Everyone says the chicks are the friendliest when DS & I raise them!

My chicks will be here next month! Local hatchery pickup weekend of 17th, McM order shipping 20th, and hatching eggs should hatch the same weekend! Go big or go home I say! 😂 We will have 3 brooders with a max of 48 chicks (if all 18 eggs hatch). 4 are going to a friend at 4 weeks, 6-7 are for my own coop, 25 to the farm flock, 4-5 to my FIL, which leaves a max of 8 to sell or give away. DH has converted the garage to a brooding room for the month of July…I don’t know what I’ve gotten myself into! Everyone says the chicks are the friendliest when DS & I raise them!
That's so awesome! We had 31 total in February and it was a handful. Loved the full assortment of chicks though and it's quite a joy to see them all out in the run and pasture now.
My first round of chicks will be hatching/shipping out on June 1st. Cackle Hatchery.
Congrats! What did you order?

Shipping updated on my last chicks of the year! I could have sworn I scheduled for June, but it’s on my calendar too 🤦🏽‍♀️ Thought I had more time to switch out the Welsummer pullet for a BCM, oops…

8 porcelain D’Uccle
5 bantam buff Brahmas
1 Green Queen
1 Welsummer
1 meal maker (Olive Egger, blue Orpington, or Cream Legbar this week)

I did sell 3 of my started pullets today, so we’re down a Whiting True Blue, Welsummer, and lavender Orpington. Then I’m picking up a BCM cockerel the same age as my older pullets 😬 Olive eggs on the horizon!

Is everyone pretty much done for the year? Do you prefer fall babies that are ready to start laying by spring?
What a cute collection of chickens! You'll have to share pics of your green eggs next year when you get there.

We have one more order coming from Alchemist Farms end of June. 8 Ameraucana BBS, 15 FBCM, and 14 Welsummer. Going to see if we can't get some good speckled green eggs over the next few years. First project so fingers crossed.
We've only done spring chicks before so these June ones will be the first "later" babies. I'm looking forward to having pullet eggs through the winter if possible. And to not have to have so much supplemental heat going on. Next year I'm tentatively planning to hatch out some chicks in Feb/Mar for local sales and then to do our batch of chicks around June so they don't need to be on much supplemental heat after the first two weeks except for at night.

ALLLLLLL THE CHICKIES!!!!!!! That sounds so fun, but a lot of work lol

Back
Top Bottom