2022 The Rest of the Story

I lost 7 of 12 chicks to 2 visits from a black rat snake in June and had two more snakes in the main coop after that.

One ate a golf ball and is unlikely to survive that misjudgement. The other upset a broody by eating most of her eggs and was relocated to the very back of the property.

I put a floor on my brooder and I *think* I've identified the weakness in the main coop, a place where a warp in a post has opened up a slight gap in the wire. I know what to do to fix it -- we always meant to put trim boards on anyway after prices came down -- but haven't fixed it yet.
OMGeeze I'm so sorry. That's awful! I guess if there is a gap or slight weakness they will certainly find it!
Now I'm concerned cuz there are a few areas I know of, similar to you, that I keep meaning to do but hadn't still.
Ugh...they were all freaking out just at dark so I went down there and didn't see anything...I really don't like snakes...neither does DH!

I lost 7 of 12 chicks to 2 visits from a black rat snake in June and had two more snakes in the main coop after that.

One ate a golf ball and is unlikely to survive that misjudgement. The other upset a broody by eating most of her eggs and was relocated to the very back of the property.

I put a floor on my brooder and I *think* I've identified the weakness in the main coop, a place where a warp in a post has opened up a slight gap in the wire. I know what to do to fix it -- we always meant to put trim boards on anyway after prices came down -- but haven't fixed it yet.
I bought snake shield off amazon and spread it around my yard and coop. keeps snakes away is 15.00

Last night when I went to lock up the chickens, I found one of my young cockerels (16 weeks) chasing and harassing a group of younger chicks (12 weeks). All the other birds were on their roosts already.

I had not seen him behave like that before - he's usually in the coop much earlier. He also kept disappearing behind the coop and coming back out, then chasing the littles again. I told him to STOP THAT or you'll be in the stockpot! GO TO BED! He did, but complaining all the way. Shaking my rattly stick at them, the five littles refused to go in the pop door - another strange behavior - but I finally got them in through the walk-thru door.

Wondering what all the fuss was about and making sure nobody was still out, I made my usual patrol around the coop and run with my flashlight and rattly stick. Making mental plans to fire up the scalding pot for him and a few others, first thing in the morning.

And there it was.... slithering away into the weeds through the fence. A black snake (I think). Not sure how long he was, maybe 3-4-feet, and about 1-inch diameter.

Guess who just bought himself a ticket to a lifetime of leisure with the flock? LOL - while my big rooster was cowering in the coop with his ladies, this little guy was doing his best to protect the youngsters. And now he has earned a name.
Meet Rufus:

1659964104343.png

And three of the chicks he was trying to protect:
1659964381213.png

Last night when I went to lock up the chickens, I found one of my young cockerels (16 weeks) chasing and harassing a group of younger chicks (12 weeks). All the other birds were on their roosts already.

I had not seen him behave like that before - he's usually in the coop much earlier. He also kept disappearing behind the coop and coming back out, then chasing the littles again. I told him to STOP THAT or you'll be in the stockpot! GO TO BED! He did, but complaining all the way. Shaking my rattly stick at them, the five littles refused to go in the pop door - another strange behavior - but I finally got them in through the walk-thru door.

Wondering what all the fuss was about and making sure nobody was still out, I made my usual patrol around the coop and run with my flashlight and rattly stick. Making mental plans to fire up the scalding pot for him and a few others, first thing in the morning.

And there it was.... slithering away into the weeds through the fence. A black snake (I think). Not sure how long he was, maybe 3-4-feet, and about 1-inch diameter.

Guess who just bought himself a ticket to a lifetime of leisure with the flock? LOL - while my big rooster was cowering in the coop with his ladies, this little guy was doing his best to protect the youngsters. And now he has earned a name.
Meet Rufus:

View attachment 3215501

And three of the chicks he was trying to protect:
View attachment 3215502
Awe good boy Rufus!

Meet Rufus:

Good boy!

I have seen Ludwig and Rameses rounding up the flock to get them to roost at what they considered the appropriate time.

Rameses doesn't do it so much now that he's alone without his "senior partner" but I have seen it.

Took photos of the 6-week-olds last night when moving them to the juvenile perch.

Way too many boys in this batch, but not the boys I wanted. The really beautiful blue has abundantly feathered feet so he had to be half Cochin. Unfortunately, even with 2 photos of him I couldn't get a really good shot.

0816222039.jpg
0816222038a.jpg
0816222038.jpg
0816222036a.jpg
0816222036.jpg
0816222035.jpg

0816222033.jpg
0816222032.jpg
0816222031a.jpg
0816222031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom