Ended 2024 Valentine's Day Contest Series—Wattle I Do Without You?

Pics
This is Cruella. Cruella is a tiny mix breed bantam hen. Cruella isn't very fond of me. She does not enjoy pets, she does not enjoy sweet talking either. If Cruella loves one thing in this world, it's caring for chicks. I had been longing for a broody for over 7 years, and then came Cruella. This tiny little hen, barely one year old, has gone broody three times already, successfully raising many chicks. As you can understand, I am so appreciative of her. But that wouldn't necessarily make her my favourite bird, would it? Cruella and I's bond is based on our understanding of eachother. Cruella is not a dumb bird. She is extremely intelligent, sometimes I think more intelligent than some dogs and the aseel rooster. Every time she's broody, we have an unspoken agreement. I may uproach her to feed her, and when they hatch, her babies. I must abide by her rules, and I am the only one who can approach her or her babies. Cruella may not enjoy me scratching her head, but I'd be absolutely devastated to lose her. Here is one of my favourite photos of her. I truly believe that I can see the joy in her eyes every time she hatches new chicksView attachment 3732450
That is an amazing story, and a super cute hen as well!

That is an amazing story, and a super cute hen as well!

Thank you so much! She's a very unique bird. In my eyes, no bird can compare to Cruella. I can't exactly put into words why I love her, but it's not because she has something to offer me, like friendliness. It's just something about her that isn't comparable to any other bird

This is Maxine. She was rescued along with two lavender orphingtons from a family that was moving and didn’t know what to do with their chickens so they were going to turn them loose on 40 acres and let them fend for themselves. I couldn’t think of that story so took in 3 of them and rehomed 12. Maxine was a tough one. She would not let you even dare come close it took a long time but she will eat out of my hand but still not liking the idea to reach down and pick her up. Her personality is strong and her genetics are stronger. Never ever has she endured mites, or illness and never gets into trouble and is on the higher end of the pecking order. She is fat and fabulous.
IMG_4309.jpeg

I have new babies and in this batch have the most friendly chick I've ever had. Not to mention her wonderful personality and cute habits. She's almost 3 weeks old, a Cuckoo Marans. Her name is Tinki. She loves to be cuddled, pet, carried around, held, and will run to get pets and jump on my arm to get held. She also likes to cuddle on my shoulder. I hope she continues to be so friendly, I love this little chook! 💚

1000007823.jpg

1000007819.jpg

💚🥰 She melts my heart!

Ruby the Rhode Island Red Bantam

In the spring of 2023, I was at Tractor Supply and I had previously thought that I was never going to get more chicks from Tractor Supply, but all of you know how that goes. They had a few bins of chicks, and one of those was the Assorted Bantam bin that I could not simply pass up. I selectively chose four chicks that I wanted: a chipmunk chick that I figured was an Old English Game Bantam which I really wanted to have, a Golden Sebright Bantam, a Silver Sebright Bantam and . . . well, I didn't know what she was at the time, but she was the cutest little reddish-brown chick I had ever seen.

I watched them grow up week by week, and it didn't take me long to figure out that the fourth chick was indeed a Rhode Island Red Bantam, which people at BackYard Chickens had suggested to me in regard to me asking what breed she is. I named her Ruby, with her nickname being Woobie or Woobie Woo, and she quickly became my favorite flock member. Her appearance has been adorable since she was a chick, with her perfect little face and her beautiful plumage, and I have to admit that she has the strangest but cutest voice for a chicken. Rather than the typical clucks and other noises, Ruby makes squeaks and cries. Ruby is sweet and I let her out of the pen every day if it is good weather so she can roam around the other yards under my supervision, and she is so friendly and curious that is seems that she is okay with me taking her anywhere. I know for sure that she prefers humans over other chickens, as she does not care if she is away from her flock members. Because of her amazing temperament, I want to begin training her to do tricks because I believe she would enjoy learning anything new. I also want to get her a diaper, a harness and a leash so I can take her to other places.

I never imagined that a Rhode Island Red Bantam in particular would be my favorite and bring me so much happiness, but Ruby is here and she has done just that.

20240215_175836.jpg

Last edited:
Here is Spitzy, my Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben. All our chicks were named with a nature theme… except her. I started calling her “little Spitzy” (we hadn’t picked her name yet!), and it stuck!

She is the silliest girl in the flock. She has a habit of flying with her huge white wings straight out, wheeling side to side like an airplane. I absolutely love her! ❤️

View attachment 3747702
bet you cant say that breed name 5 times fast

Back
Top Bottom