20wk BR bleeding from comb

Moselle

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
I just noticed today that my BR is bleeding a little from what looks like the back of her comb. I don't see any other chickens picking on her, but I'm not always watching. Could she have snagged it on some fencing?

Now what should I do for her? She doesn't seem to notice it - behavior wise. Should I clean it off and apply neosporin? Do I need to separate her from the flock for a while? (any ideas on how best to do this? How long?). I'm a stupid suburban chicken owner, so please don't be afraid to go into detail.

My 10yodd is crying, and I told her that we would take care of Sweetie, but I'm not going out again until the storm is over
hmm.png

IMG_4792.jpg

I know this is a bad picture, but you can get an idea of where the bleeding is coming from.

I couldn't see your pic.

With chickens, anything is possible; so she could have scraped it on the fence, or another bird could have picked on her. Some of our ladies get grabbed by their comb by our roo. But if you're a suburban chicken owner, that may not be your hen's problem.
smile.png

For wounds, I usually use a drop or two of tea tree oil. If you don't have that, neosporin ointment (or something similar) is good. If you see the bleeding doesn't stop, isolation might be a good idea. I would think overnight should be fine.

Last edited:
True, it's definitely not a roo issue
big_smile.png
. This morning she looks better - no fresh bleeding. We'll keep checking on her.

Back
Top Bottom