21st Century Incubator in development. Need feedback/volunteers!

46785_bator.jpg

here is mine
not as technical as you have described but more advanced than your average DIY bator. you might get some ideas from this for your build.
the old saying goes...Ifin it aint broke don't fix it ........ well I say............Ifin it aint broke....TWEEK IT!!

1 = digital scale
2 = P.I.D. temp. controller (holds 99.5deg F rock steady!!)
3 = uninterruptable power supply
4 = 135 amp hour sealed AGM 12v battery for above (provides 2.5 days of power!!)
5 = ¾” plastic laminated plywood box 24”w X 14”d X 24” t
6 = Omega brand laboratory grade digital thermometer w/ 2 probes
7 = calibrated digital hygrometer
8 = 6ea Rouen & 6ea Welsh Harlequin duck eggs
9 = ½” insulation
10 = 90deg. rotary actuator for auto turning eggs every 3 hours
11 = 4ea 60 watt of ceramic heating elements w/ 2 fans enclosed inside a duct

Temp controller temp sensor is inside a blown out egg filled with KY jelly
One thermometer probe is done the same way. The other is exposed to the air.
Plastic pan on the bottom of the heat duct for humidity.
All components other than the plywood, battery and glass window were purchased off e-bay for less than 150 bucks.
Eggs seem to be progressing fine when candled a few days ago......2 weeks till lockdown.

Wow, you all are a bunch of great folks. Nice setup Deek. Looks like some very intuitive engineering. I am actually looking at some IC login controllers for timing, temp, etc. So, yes, it will be very compact.

Joey, yes I got your message. Thanks. From the overwhelming response I will probably have to do a lottery (names in a hat). So, please all volunteers still welcome.

Someone said something about investors. Umm, nope. Just crazy old me. Why, are there investers looking to part with their money out there?
wink.png

Um, as far as the nitty-gritty of the circuitry, I am not really will to "give away the farm" just yet. So to speak. I may offer it in a package, build your own, or pre-built at some point. I am hoping that I can keep the cost point low. If I can build a good system, I would love to share it for a little change in my pocket. Like I said, I am not looking to get rich.

Someone said something about paying for shipping and also about giving a deposit. Not necessary, but thanks for the offers. They will be shipped at my expense completely free. Well, except that I will ask that you share your progress with the forum.

I think that covers everything so far. Keep the message coming!

Jason

Hate to put a damper on everybody getting so excited about the "STAR WARS INCUBATOR" but even though it is the 21st century how hard would it be for the Average (me) idiot to fix if it breaks. I can replace everything on my homemade incubator fast and easy just by going to home depot. With all the circuitry, resistors, capasitors and everything else i don't understand and can't spell it is very scary to the average joe. And as we all know there is nothing scarier than being on day 17 of a hatch and have something break or blow. Just wondering if you were thinking of these things when you were designing the intimabator!
lol.png

"The CoopCreation Star-Bator" would not be that hard to work on if you have a lil knowledge of circuitry and electronics. I guess for the average Joe, there could be a lil intimidation factor. Circuitry really looks more difficult than it is! If you get a beginners guide or book from the library you can pick up on the basics pretty quickly. I never thought I would know the difference between an Ohm and a Amp. It's pretty much like anything else. it looks hard until you start to do it! I'm still no expert but I can replace circuits, capacitors, resistors, wires, sinks.....etc Shoot, with the net today you can learn almost everything you need to know on-line!

Now this is the stuff I have been looking for, Jason I sent you a PM. Very nice Deek, I am very interested in knowing the results of your hatch. Fisherman65, You may be correct about the average Joe. It also may be true that those other bators need to have easily replaced parts because you need to replace so many of them. Just pointing out that it is a two way street on that one. There is also the category of person that needs reliability and function. I am looking at having $600 worth of eggs (that can fit in one egg carton) in an incubator smaller than the Suro 20. In short I don't really care if the incubator is expensive, or expensive to maintain, as long as it hatches those eggs. there is always a balance though so no I would not buy an incubator that could be sent to orbit the moon while it achieved a 100% hatch rate. But I also do not want to have to chase temperature and humidity levels around either. Since that that $600 carton of eggs is where I plan to start, and the value of my eggs will go up. I want an incubator that does the best job of hatching them that in incubator can do. I've even thought of a warming pad to lay over the eggs. that is what a hen is.

Last edited:
I checked the thread this morning and found out it the incubator has come into a couple of names. I don't think i like intimibator too much Fisherman65, ha. Star-Bator, kinda catchy. As far as being intimidating, I can understand that. Actually, bigstack is absolutely right. There really isn't much too it. Could the average Joe fix it? The board would be easily replaceable if it were to fail. Any of the components are easily found at an electronics store. The weakest link as designed is the power supply. This can be picked up 24 hours a day at my local Meijer store and replaced very easily. Only thing I know is that I put my life in the hands of circuitry every day. With the proper controls and monitoring, the life of electronics can be very, very long. As a matter of fact, I have an AS400 server that has been running since the 80's. Big 'ol box of complex circuits. We still use it for a legacy warranty application.

Keep the great feedback going!

Thanks again all,
Jason

Last edited:
Toss my name into the hat. I would love to try it out as well. Been dreaming up a new bator for awhile. If I post 10 times will you put my name in the hat 10 times?? LOL

Back
Top Bottom