1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

22 gram egg!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TerraLinda, Dec 17, 2014.

1. TerraLinda

TerraLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    [​IMG]
    One of my new layers (jumbo brown coturnix) just produced a 22 gram egg! It's almost like a small chicken egg. Is this normal?

2. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Yep, it's normal for new layers. It's probably got two yolks. Hens will often lay them when they are just starting out but they should settle into normal single yolk eggs as they mature more.

If you incubate eggs don't set double yolkers. You will not get two chicks, you will get two dead chicks as they cannot get into normal hatching position to breath into the air cell before the external pip. They will drown in their own egg fluids. I accidentally set a double yolker, yep, two dead chicks. Now I make sure to candle the eggs to make sure they have single yolks before I set them for incubation.

3. cookiesdaddy

cookiesdaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California Bay Area
    One time I had an egg 23 g. When cracked I found a whole egg, with shell and everything, inside an egg with outer shell. Weird looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by