22% protein until 18 weeks?

minou33

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Colorado
The lady at the homestead supply store somehow convinced me that I needed a 50lb. bag of chick starter for 6 chicks! :confused:The starter is Modesto Milling Chick Starter and Broiler Grower at 22% protein. My chicks are layers (not broilers,) so I'm wondering if I can continue using this feed until they transition to layer? Even the directions on the feed package aren't clear...feeding directions say to feed chicks up to 9 weeks and their website says till 18 weeks. What protein % should grower feed be for chicks? And would it harm my pullets to keep them on this feed until 18 weeks? TY!!!!!

Last edited:
I would stay at that level of protein too. The more protein the more they lay IMO. I supplemented with additional sources of protein when using layer feed but I now have chicks too so I'm feeding chick starter now then will switch to all flock. They still lay fine . I do have 2 sources of oyster shell for them.

Along these lines, I started feeding my chicks the first bag pictured. After their first 5 weeks we need more feed. I currently use the Layer 22 for my hens. Can I use the Layer 22 for the pullets or need to stick with the starter/grower?
3FE596F6-0CD7-4022-9603-C5E6636F33A2.jpeg
7DA25F66-63AC-4E3A-9B74-A8F13E3EA131.jpeg

Along these lines, I started feeding my chicks the first bag pictured. After their first 5 weeks we need more feed. I currently use the Layer 22 for my hens. Can I use the Layer 22 for the pullets or need to stick with the starter/grower?View attachment 3175897View attachment 3175899
"Layer" tells me that it probably has too much calcium for non-layers.

Back
Top Bottom