22 week BJG and Red Dorking - Comparison

Curious, why no scalding...must have been a tough pluck?

spouse’s choice...I guess didn’t want to wait for the water to warm up. But not even the kids complained about the plucking! They did note that the Dorking had many tiny/fluffy feathers that were wanting to go everywhere, so they set up a box fan with a furnace filter taped to it, so it would draw the feathers to it and be out of the way of the work area.

Alright! Halved, seasoned, on the fire. In case of failure, we have 1 steak we will grill. Have potatoes wrapped in foil, in the hot coals too. I can’t imagine doing any other cooking style when blessed with 55F and sunny weather on Christmas Day! It’s dark and I’m comfortably sitting outside (jacket and pants, of course)...still some snow on the ground too!

87E46A36-0C2F-4C6C-A966-86173D12E6D0.jpeg
BB720197-1291-43C2-B6C8-37C922C34F65.jpeg

Both were very tasty!! And surprisingly, the Dorking, that was more sexually mature although same age, was quite tender. A slight bit of stringiness in the BJG dark meat, but we cooked it longer (larger size). The Dorking has very dark meat, and very meaty thighs and legs (given its size). The darkness reminds me of more of a game bird color, and the dark meat was almost a touch sweet as compared to the BJG. The BJG had more meat overall, and more breast meat, which was juicy. Both were good choices as a breed to turn into dinner! Here they are after cooking over the fire:

Black Jersey Giant:
DC30B6BB-F529-4A74-AB98-1C6926832354.jpeg

Red Dorking:
18B9D251-E889-4287-A67A-5B4D6810C8FE.jpeg

Both were very tasty!! And surprisingly, the Dorking, that was more sexually mature although same age, was quite tender. A slight bit of stringiness in the BJG dark meat, but we cooked it longer (larger size). The Dorking has very dark meat, and very meaty thighs and legs (given its size). The darkness reminds me of more of a game bird color, and the dark meat was almost a touch sweet as compared to the BJG. The BJG had more meat overall, and more breast meat, which was juicy. Both were good choices as a breed to turn into dinner! Here they are after cooking over the fire:

Black Jersey Giant:
View attachment 1987880

Red Dorking:
View attachment 1987881
So I guess I will be butchering some of my chicks at 16 weeks to see how they are.

Mine are all crossed with black jersey giant. I was going to butcher some at 16 weeks, 18 weeks, 20 weeks, 22 weeks... I'm going to label all the different ages on them and then my family is going to decide what age they like best

Alright! Halved, seasoned, on the fire. In case of failure, we have 1 steak we will grill. Have potatoes wrapped in foil, in the hot coals too. I can’t imagine doing any other cooking style when blessed with 55F and sunny weather on Christmas Day! It’s dark and I’m comfortably sitting outside (jacket and pants, of course)...still some snow on the ground too!

View attachment 1987833 View attachment 1987834
you grilled over direct heat, not indirect? Why? Not judging just asking.

Back
Top Bottom