23 weeks and Still NO Eggs.

BarbaCoop

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
This is my first BY flock I have ever had. I have a mixed flock of 10 that have all been raised together. Some look really mature and the others don’t. They are now 23 weeks and still no eggs !

The time of year sill slow done point of Lay, assuming you live North of the Equator.

Egg shaped welcome.jpg

@BarbaCoop - Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with your location, clues us into your time zone & general weather climate. I'm thinking as the rest, your climate/location has something to do with no eggs yet. It's that time of the year, shorter days/less sunlight. It also depends on the breeds, some lay sooner than others. Waiting for that first egg really tests our patience :rolleyes:

@BigATC - Your SLW looks to be the first to lay, BR next, your EE the last. Orpingtons are bigger birds, mature slower, mine usually lay around 24wks. Squatting is a good sign of getting close, they'll also show interest in the nest box weeks before. Waiting seems like forever & that first egg is always exciting ;)

My Golden Comets, a sex-links (hatched March 29, 2016), Started to lay exactly at 4 months. Another 2 days later. All 5 were laying at 19 weeks.
Two past on around 2 years old. One was egg bound. She was last to lay. Another was bleeding from vent. I put her down.
A third retired from laying at 2 years and is still living.
The other two were giving me 10 eggs a week between them, until sunset at 4:30. Over a week ago. I only add light in the morning at 5. So when they got only 11 1/2 hours of light, one of them stopped.
I now only have one hen laying every other day. 20181104_162519.jpg .Fortunately I have a couple dozen eggs in the fridge.

I have seven Barred Rocks hatched August 15. They are my first late summer Chicks, also my first breed.
They have their own coop and I also open the coop and turn on the lights at 5am.
I have no experience with late summer Chicks or this Breed.
I am hoping they start to lay in the middle of January. 20181118_093946.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom