12 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Cypress, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Blue Egg -96 x 270(1).jpg
IMG_7011.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG

I have been working with Legbars since 2011. I am in Oklahoma. You can see more on my flock on my profile page on localHen.com

Hi there, :frow

Pretty birds. :love

I checked out that fairly long profile, but didn't see it state if you are NPIP certified. Sorry if I missed it. :pop

24 is a whole lot of eggs! And a good value... :thumbsup

Yes, we are NPIP. It is super easy to do. Most states it just requires a 2 minute call to the state administrator of the NPIP plan and they will arrange for a tester to come to your flock to test for T/P. If you have a big flock and they do a 100% test it could take a while but if they only have to test 10-15 birds they could be done in 10 minutes.

Yes...We are still selling hatching eggs.

Here are some up-dates of this year's breeding pens.

This is "Pen A" with four hens that range from 2-5 years old and a 10 months old cockerel.
Pen A - Hens.jpg

This is "Pen B' with three 10-month-old pullets and a three-year-old cock.

Pen B - Pullets.PNG

We also have a "Pen C" set up with a 10-month-old pullet and a 3-year-old cock. The pullet in Pen C is from another breeder's bloodline and not related to any other Legbars on our property.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your answer. Your A eggs are exactly what I'm looking to add to my flock.

We typically ship until the middle of June. Our best egg color was from 2016 to 2018. We could line up eggs from eight different hens and 6-7 of them would be identical in color with all of them a really good blue color. We used two new cocks in our breeding pens last year. I was happy to replace the cocks that we had been using from 2016 to 2018 because they had faults that I had wanted to get away from for a long time and the new breeders were going to allow us to do that. When the 2019 pullets started to lay last fall though we were getting pale eggs. We had seen pale eggs in a lot of the stock from 2012-2015. In 2015 we marked all the eggs that were a pale color and when they hatch we culled every cockerel from a pale egg. We kept the pullets and if they laid a pale egg we planned to not hatch from them. So...in 2016-2018 the pale eggs were gone as were the 2-3 different shades that we had seen by using 2-3 cockerels in the past (egg color always seemed to follow the cockerel and not the hens). So some of the pale eggs are back. Breeding chickens is always two steps forward one step backwards. We will get the egg color back though. We still have hens laying the good color and have a son out of the two cocks that we replaced that should help bring the color back.

Below is a photo of eggs that we shipped last week that arrived at there destination on Saturday. I marked the photo with the letter of the pen I think each egg came from. Our Pen A is made up of hens from 2015 to 2018 hatches and have are all well-saturated well-colored eggs. Pen B is made up of egg from 2019 pullets and is not as saturated as the pen A eggs. Pen C are from a Legbar from another breeder. They are not from my line. They are smaller and are almost yellow tint to them. I think the C pen eggs are fairly typical for what most people get. I feel our egg color is a lot better than most and look forward to working back to everyone on the property laying eggs the color of the pen A birds as we saw in all of our hatches for 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom