24+ Cream Legbar Hatching Eggs $100 Shipped

Tom,

This is my cock in Pen "A". He is mid-stride in his walk so his wings look a little more angled downward than if he were leaning more forward but the bottom line of his wind is parallel with the line of his back. That is about as low as would be ideal.
No 4 (II).jpg

This is one that was lost to predators (for comparison). His wing is a lot better than the one in Pen A (of course he is leaning forward so that helps him). The one in Pen A was retained because test mating three other cockerels for the Recessive White gene, he was the only one to come up negative for it. So, he is not perfect but we are using him to breed the white gene out of the Cream lines. One thing at a time, right? :)

IMG_3057.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful Birds Gary! Thank you for posting photos and getting great information out there! I have only one Cream Legbar in my backyard flock but I cannot say enough good about the breed. Had I of known then what I know now, I would have stuck with just Legbars.

We typically ship until the middle of June. Our best egg color was from 2016 to 2018. We could line up eggs from eight different hens and 6-7 of them would be identical in color with all of them a really good blue color. We used two new cocks in our breeding pens last year. I was happy to replace the cocks that we had been using from 2016 to 2018 because they had faults that I had wanted to get away from for a long time and the new breeders were going to allow us to do that. When the 2019 pullets started to lay last fall though we were getting pale eggs. We had seen pale eggs in a lot of the stock from 2012-2015. In 2015 we marked all the eggs that were a pale color and when they hatch we culled every cockerel from a pale egg. We kept the pullets and if they laid a pale egg we planned to not hatch from them. So...in 2016-2018 the pale eggs were gone as were the 2-3 different shades that we had seen by using 2-3 cockerels in the past (egg color always seemed to follow the cockerel and not the hens). So some of the pale eggs are back. Breeding chickens is always two steps forward one step backwards. We will get the egg color back though. We still have hens laying the good color and have a son out of the two cocks that we replaced that should help bring the color back.

Below is a photo of eggs that we shipped last week that arrived at there destination on Saturday. I marked the photo with the letter of the pen I think each egg came from. Our Pen A is made up of hens from 2015 to 2018 hatches and have are all well-saturated well-colored eggs. Pen B is made up of egg from 2019 pullets and is not as saturated as the pen A eggs. Pen C are from a Legbar from another breeder. They are not from my line. They are smaller and are almost yellow tint to them. I think the C pen eggs are fairly typical for what most people get. I feel our egg color is a lot better than most and look forward to working back to everyone on the property laying eggs the color of the pen A birds as we saw in all of our hatches for 3 years.

Attachments

• Legbar Eggs.png
    Legbar Eggs.png
    635.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
We start shipping eggs in March and ship until early June. After that, we start to break up breeding groups to open up pen space for grow-out groups. It also starts to get too hot for peak fertility. We have just one pen that we are getting Legbar hatching eggs from right now. We are only getting 2-3 eggs a day so we would only be able to ship about a dozen eggs at a time right now. We hit 102 deg F today. fertility could be up to 15% lower than it is in the spring and shipping eggs in this heat could affect hatchability another 15% on top of that. You can get on our waitlist to get eggs in the spring or, f you don't want to wait, we could get you a discounted off-season price to offset a lower expected hatch rate. Send me a private message to discuss if you want to get eggs.

P.S. I see you are in Smithville. I am guessing you are hitting daytime highs well over 100 deg F right now too.

Last edited:
Today was the first day in weeks that it hasn't been over 100. If you think you could put together in order for sometime next week let me know. You can send me a direct message that would probably be easier for pricing and such

Back
Top Bottom