24 WEEK OLD CUCKOO MARAN LAID HER FIRST EGG THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING, AND NOTHING SINCE . WTH???!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Louisiana
I was so excited 2 days ago when my cuckoo maran laid her first egg . It was a pullet egg so tiny but cute . Unfortunately she hasn't giving anymore since . What the heck is going on . I thought for sure I would start getting some eggs as my others are still too young . I'm so sad was hoping to get one everyday from her to stock up on eggs . We go thru alot of eggs and I'm tired of buying them .I want fresh eggs . Oh i forgot to mention she laid it in then evening around 5 ish . Is that normal ? Oh btw the white egg is a store bought I put it in there to make sure she knew where to lay hers
20180320_164930.jpg
20180320_171348.jpg

When hens first start to lay it is not consistent, you usually won't get an egg a day for a while, it may be a few more days till she lays again.

I was so excited 2 days ago when my cuckoo maran laid her first egg . It was a pullet egg so tiny but cute . Unfortunately she hasn't giving anymore since . What the heck is going on . I thought for sure I would start getting some eggs as my others are still too young . I'm so sad was hoping to get one everyday from her to stock up on eggs . We go thru alot of eggs and I'm tired of buying them .I want fresh eggs . Oh i forgot to mention she laid it in then evening around 5 ish . Is that normal ? Oh btw the white egg is a store bought I put it in there to make sure she knew where to lay hersView attachment 1307239 View attachment 1307240
Just give her sometime it is not uncommon for them to lay and then take a week or so for the next egg She is just normal. She will lay again it might be tomorrow or a couple of weeks.

I wanted to possibly incubate some of hers but if she take a that long then will I still be able to ? I have her first one n a dry cool place . Not gonna put in fridge

It's not recommended to hatch pullet eggs because they are small and often have defects even if we can't see them.

As one of the members here is fond of saying, "Chickens aren't vending machines." :p She'll be more consistent soon but a Marans isn't going to be as prolific a layer as, say, a black sexlink. They just aren't.

Back
Top Bottom