24wk pullet limping, help!

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
My pullet, Peanut, has just started laying eggs and a week before she laid, i noticed she was standing on one foot but i thought nothing of it. I looked a little closer today and she was limping. She seems fine otherwise and I didn’t see anything sticking out of her leg or foot after an inspection, though she did got locked out of coop a few nights ago but right after sunset I put her back inside and she was perfectly fine. Help, i don’t know what to do.

Last edited:
Check the bottom of her foot for a black-looking scab, or swelling around her foot or toes - this could be bumblefoot causing her to limp. Here is one of several articles on the subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-in-your-flock.65979/

She might have injured her leg in some other way, of course - like jumping down or falling off of a roost, or tussling with another hen and pulled a tendon, etc. It might help to put her in a wire cage or kennel in the run or coop with food and water, to limit her movement and give the injury rest to heal.

I'd say if she's not doing better in a few days, consider taking her to a vet.

I've seen this a few times with my flock - and as long as it's not bumblefoot, it usually resolves in a few days. I've never had to cage one yet. As long as she can get to food and water, and is protected from predators and bullying, I'd leave her be - but monitor her progress.

Check the bottom of her foot for a black-looking scab, or swelling around her foot or toes - this could be bumblefoot causing her to limp. Here is one of several articles on the subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bumblefoot-in-your-flock.65979/

She might have injured her leg in some other way, of course - like jumping down or falling off of a roost, or tussling with another hen and pulled a tendon, etc. It might help to put her in a wire cage or kennel in the run or coop with food and water, to limit her movement and give the injury rest to heal.

I'd say if she's not doing better in a few days, consider taking her to a vet.

I've seen this a few times with my flock - and as long as it's not bumblefoot, it usually resolves in a few days. I've never had to cage one yet. As long as she can get to food and water, and is protected from predators and bullying, I'd leave her be - but monitor her progress.
I didn’t see any scabs or anything twisted, etc. I’ll upload an image of her leg and foot tomorrow, and I’d say she starting limping a few days ago but I didn’t really notice until today.

I didn’t see any scabs or anything twisted, etc. I’ll upload an image of her leg and foot tomorrow, and I’d say she starting limping a few days ago but I didn’t really notice until today.
Hopefully she's better tomorrow anyway, right? :fl Also tell us - is she eating and drinking well? Food in her crop? Is she showing any other symptoms, like lethargy, pale comb? Has she been under any kind of stress recently?

Hopefully she's better tomorrow anyway, right? :fl Also tell us - is she eating and drinking well? Food in her crop? Is she showing any other symptoms, like lethargy, pale comb? Has she been under any kind of stress recently?
Her comb looks healthy, and she’s been eating well. She gets pecked at often though. Here’s a few images of her leg, i tried my best to wipe them off but it’s a muddy day here.

Attachments

• 6FE300BC-7B52-4238-91A0-3C435125697F.jpeg
    6FE300BC-7B52-4238-91A0-3C435125697F.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 4
  • D89C6707-6A61-48F0-8540-9511F3468637.jpeg
    D89C6707-6A61-48F0-8540-9511F3468637.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 4
It does look like she's got bumblefoot. Photos often show things you don't notice with the naked eye. Looks like a scab starting just off-center of her foot pad, and some swelling and redness in the center. Also near the base of one toe is some swelling and redness, maybe a small scab there, too. I also notice her toenails are quite long - so she's been favoring that foot for some time. You may need to trim or file those back as well as treat her foot and bandage it.

If you can, soak her foot and clean it as well as you can for a closer look. It's hard to see whether that's certainly a scab, or just dirt.

Soak the feet in warm soapy water to clean them, then repost with pics of clean feet so we can see any actual wounds. A photo of poopy feet gives no useful information.

State your location please. It can tell us about climate and local diseases. It can often give us other clues about lameness than just a sore foot.

Age would also help. Some lameness is directly connected to age.

It does look like some issues with bumble foot on the foot pad and toe pad, but get some pictures after cleaning her feet. It may help to soak her legs in warm Epsom salts water or even chlorhexidene, betadine, or warm soapy water for about 15 minutes. Then go from there.

Back
Top Bottom