25-4 wk old chicks brooder too small/move

kingsfarm

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
They have been outside from day 1 (Oct.11) 4 weeks ago in brooder with heat lamp. Soon there will be no more room for them to really move around, fly etc...I want to move them to an A frame coop/pen. dirt floor, roost ... instead of wire floor, roost(a 2x4)...I will hang a heat lamp only because they are 4 weeks and not completely feathered out...head feathers coming in...they have done well in the 40 degree weather we have had, my question is will they be ok on dirt floor - big coop? or just wait two more weeks till they are all featherd out - the poo situation on the boards not wire has to be washed off every 2nd or third day... Is the poo situation a bad thing for them, I hose off roost daily (they are removable)...Just can't decide what is best to do...

I think they will be fine on dirt floor. They will enjoy the larger space, for sure. More space makes them less likely to pick on each other. I had a January hatch where they lived in the brooder in our spare room. It got too small and messy, so out to the big house they went. ( I ended up bringing them back into the house the first night- it was February, and below freezing, and I felt bad for them LOL)

Yup, give them their new house, just make sure to keep the heat lamp in there for them and adjust accordingly.

Thank you LilBizzy,ChickenCanoe and M.sue --- I will take you advice and move them...thank you, thank you, thank you.....G

Back
Top Bottom