25 chicks coming on Feb. 6th......few questions

pinkchick

"Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"
13 Years
May 30, 2008
Washington State
I have 25 new chicks coming next week, this was not planned so I am sort of rushed getting ready for them.

How much space do I need in a brooder for 25?

At 5 weeks can you put them straight out side in a coop and run or should they be housed differently?

HELP, I really don't have a lot of experience in raising chicks!

Lol,

I have 26 coming on MONDAY!!!
wee.gif
! I have about a foot and a half wide cardboard box that is 4ish feet ling.That I thibnk can house them for a week or two. Then just get a bigger box.

a metal tub that you can get at tractor supply is a very great brooder us shelf liner in the bottomwith shavings to and of course your light

And yeah that should be fine we put ares out at 4 weeks but at this time of year its probably better! and keep alight on them at night at that age too!

wee.gif
bring in the chickies
wee.gif

Thanks!
Another question:

We were thinking of building a smaller coop and building a brooder inside of it so the chicks could just go from brooder to enclosed coop with run. Is is safe to do this or should they be housed indoors if I can?

I used a pen about 5 by 5' so it had about 1 square foot per bird.
after 5 weeks they can go outside if its not really cold.
they grow fast and will need the space.

Quote:
I have a stock tank that is a little bigger than a 55 gallon barrel? It has to be 2.5 feet tall and 4 ft long, will that work? If so, how long will it work?

Quote:
I have a stock tank that is a little bigger than a 55 gallon barrel? It has to be 2.5 feet tall and 4 ft long, will that work? If so, how long will it work?

Yeah that would work fine sould work for the 5 week term it should!
Just be sure that you use shelf liner so the chick dont get straddle legs

Last edited:
OMGosh! What is straddle leg (sp?) ?

Regular shelf liner like we use in our kitchens?
I have some of that rubberized non-slip stuff, not that right?

Back
Top Bottom