25 weeks and no eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HorsesandBirds, Oct 19, 2010.

1. HorsesandBirds

HorsesandBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    I have three Barred Rock hens who are 25 weeks and we haven't seen a single egg. When do they start laying? Are we doing something wrong?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    what are you doing?

3. wyandotte freak

wyandotte freak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    B.C.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    mine is around 28 weeks ... no eggs yet

5. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    My girl is about the same age and no eggs, but we didn't get our 1st eggs around here until they were about 30 weeks or so, those being from a wyandotte and a white leghorn. when the time is right it will happen.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i had a buff orpington that did not lay until 29 weeks last year

7. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I am in the same boat. I have 15, 24 week olds and no eggs! To make things worse the one rooster that snuck into the pullet order is a jerk and attacks me everytime he gets the chance. When I went to the grocery store yesterday I bought 4 packages of raw "natural" chicken and a roasted chicken, to the sum of $35+..... Not to mention the 2 dozen "local" eggs from another state. I am really starting to think something is wrong with this equation. [​IMG]

8. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have a group of Columbian Rocks (LF) that are 28 weeks old and no eggs yet either. I think we are fighting the decreasing sunlight daily and that is part of the issue.

I also understand that where your birds came from can effect laying as well. If your birds came from a "breeder" of SOP quality fowl, they just might not lay until next Spring as they have the original instincts of the breed to not lay until it is "chick rearing time"...hatchery type bird have been bred for egg production and therefore should start laying sooner

Anxiously waiting with you.....

Here's to hoping!!

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Not doing anything wrong [​IMG] unless of course you are with holding food and water... That would be wrong lol.

I have a Barred Rock who will be 27 or 28 weeks this week and no eggs yet for me [​IMG] don't worry it'll happen!

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    They will lay when they are ready, they might start a bit late now because of the decreasing daylight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by