25 weeks and still no eggs--HELP

groleau6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
Alabama
I was a complete newbie when we decided to venture into chickens. Got a coop made, moved in our ducklings (2 rescues), got a rooster who was about 6 months older than my girls, and got my girls--all RIRs. There were 6 of them, but one died trying to lay before she was fully matured (only 15 weeks), now we have our 5. I thought everything was good. Not one of them seem sick, everyone is eating well, etc etc. The girls are now 25 weeks, and we still have not gotten a single egg. From what I have read, I know that's late. What am I doing wrong?

I was a complete newbie when we decided to venture into chickens. Got a coop made, moved in our ducklings (2 rescues), got a rooster who was about 6 months older than my girls, and got my girls--all RIRs. There were 6 of them, but one died trying to lay before she was fully matured (only 15 weeks), now we have our 5. I thought everything was good. Not one of them seem sick, everyone is eating well, etc etc. The girls are now 25 weeks, and we still have not gotten a single egg. From what I have read, I know that's late. What am I doing wrong?

25 weeks isn't really "late" - the normal range for onset of lay goes beyond that, so your girls are not really at a point where I'd be concerned. It would help if you were to post photos of your birds - we can help you to spot indications of how close they are/aren't to being ready to begin production.

25 weeks isn't really "late" - the normal range for onset of lay goes beyond that, so your girls are not really at a point where I'd be concerned. It would help if you were to post photos of your birds - we can help you to spot indications of how close they are/aren't to being ready to begin production.
I took pictures of two. They are my biggest and my smallest.

Pretty girls!

Be patient, they all start to lay at their own pace. I have some that started around 20 weeks, and some that held out until close to 30 weeks. Yours are getting red in the face, it shouldn't be too much longer.

Back
Top Bottom