$2550 vet bill

Haha I was about to say, look at it this way, $2500 is a cheap false-alarm emergency room visit/diagnostic, or a single bad tooth. You can just floss extra diligently and keep yourself in good health, or just never go to the doctor, and you'll make up for 10x that $2500 in no time.

My husband always says if you start going to the dentist every 6 months, then you'll HAVE to go every 6 months. This is after a dentist shaved down 3 of my teeth while I was under nitrous. Went to Four different dentists for opinions and confirmations on the malicious damage. :th

Here in the US, there is no real difference. an office visit for a cat, dog, horse, cow, pig, lizard, fish, or chicken are the same.
My wonderful vet is very kind to chicken owners. When you consider the cost of their education, insurance, infrastructure etc they have to make ends meet like the rest of us. If I have a member of the flock in within a year she doesn’t charge for fecal floats. And I can call and ask questions and they’re very happy to talk and I don’t get charged for that either. They sure aren’t getting rich from me! I dread the day she retires!

I don't understand blasting a person because for that individual, that particular animal was worth more than $9.95. And because it's 'just a chicken', it was worth it to the OP.
I've never met a veterinarian who had their Rolls Royce parked at their bank in Geneva!
Most veterinarians, and especially most younger veterinarians, have huge debt from college, families, and then the clinics have large overhead to pay, and nobody there is making tons of money!
Rant over.
Mary

This is an extract from the actual fees schedules for veterinarians (2020) showing the fee to be charged for a general examination classified according to species.

Farm poultry listed under h), fancy fowl under m):

View attachment 2240085
I wish! No published schedule of fees available like that here in the "Land of Free Enterprise". It is whatever the market will bear.

I don't understand blasting a person because for that individual, that particular animal was worth more than $9.95. And because it's 'just a chicken', it was worth it to the OP.
I've never met a veterinarian who had their Rolls Royce parked at their bank in Geneva!
Most veterinarians, and especially most younger veterinarians, have huge debt from college, families, and then the clinics have large overhead to pay, and nobody there is making tons of money!
Rant over.
Mary
I apologize if you thought I was blasting the OP for spending what it took to save her pet. I also signed a form at the vet stating I would pay whatever they wanted, before even knowing what the charges would be. I wish I lived in Germany!!!!! I can afford to pay, also, or I would not have an African Grey. We pet owners are at the complete mercy of the vets, that is what I would hope to be "blasting" -- Just because my chickens are not my pets, I understand that the @Sobek 's chicken is a pet on her couch just like Dylan is mine. I hope the OP takes my postings as commiserating with them.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom