28 days later and they disappeared

I let mine freerange when I am going to be home, to keep an eye on them. If I go to the store I will usually leave them out, as I am coming right back and putting them in only to let them out a little later seems silly.

But last week I went to the store and when I came home they were nowhere to be found, all 4 had simply dissapeared! I looked for along time and even enlisted my doggies to look. I couldn't figure out where they went as they have shown no desire to leave the yard, and haven't exhibited an ability to fly or leap over the fence. I thought of hawks but there wasn't a single feather!

Long story short, they would simply hiding in the yard at varous places. I found two of them very well hidden, one in monkey grass, one in gravel by the patio, they just blended right in! I found the other two walking amonst the azaleas, I assume they were in the mulch, I never saw them till they came out in the open.

I put them in their coop and they went back to sleep for a few hours. I think they just wanted nap and bedded down whereever it was comfortable. I had suspected at one point the doggies chased them but when I found them they showed no fear of the doggies and the doggies weren't excessivly interested in the chickens.

Quote:
That's kinda the thing I was going to say... I have seen white chickens hide so well I was standing right next to one and couldn't find it! They are experts!

Now, that said, if theydon't come back in 24 hours... IF they are NOT game breeds... they probrably are gone for good. The whole flock being gone without any excess feathers about and whatnot suggests to me humans. A wild animal will only take what it can eat then (it will be backlater for more), a domesic dog will kill them all but not take them all or even eat them... just kill them and leave them. A hawk or two even (which hawks are solo animals) wouldn't be able to take the whole flock either.

I'd ask the neighbors... even the ones without chickens. Watch body language... sometimes the mouth says one thing while their face says they are lying. Could be they didn't want more chickens in the naighborhood... or you could have had some birds they wanted. Their is a miriad of reasons some unsavory people steal animals and you honestly don't want to hear them all right now.... point is, sounds human to me.

Good luck! I'll be checking back for updates.

Quote:
Just read this!

Great news! Glad you got them back. They were playing too hard and got stuck out. lol. Bad birds! lol.

Glad you have them.

I am so relieved for you! That's great news that they are home. You are doing the right thing by keeping them in for a little bit. Better safe than sorry as I know from personal experience. Give them lots of love today!
ya.gif

My son had a hen return after being missing 3 weeks. He has no idea where she was.
idunno.gif

Quote:
That's kinda the thing I was going to say... I have seen white chickens hide so well I was standing right next to one and couldn't find it! They are experts!

Now, that said, if theydon't come back in 24 hours... IF they are NOT game breeds... they probrably are gone for good. The whole flock being gone without any excess feathers about and whatnot suggests to me humans. A wild animal will only take what it can eat then (it will be backlater for more), a domesic dog will kill them all but not take them all or even eat them... just kill them and leave them. A hawk or two even (which hawks are solo animals) wouldn't be able to take the whole flock either.

I'd ask the neighbors... even the ones without chickens. Watch body language... sometimes the mouth says one thing while their face says they are lying. Could be they didn't want more chickens in the naighborhood... or you could have had some birds they wanted. Their is a miriad of reasons some unsavory people steal animals and you honestly don't want to hear them all right now.... point is, sounds human to me.

Good luck! I'll be checking back for updates.

Last edited:
When you name your girls "Thelma and Louise" you have to expect some adventure every now and then. Maybe that is it! The neighbors roo got a little fresh so they shot him. They were on thier way to the Grand Canyon but can`t fly and it is to far to walk so they decided to just go home.
lau.gif

So glad they are home. Paranoia made me think someone stole them - glad I was wrong. I think they should be grounded for a week tho for making you worry so much - us too.

Back
Top Bottom