2day old chick

gavlar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Hi guys.
I have 4 chickens and one of then was broody and kept sitting eggs.i did break her as they call it.but I didn't like this.after 6 weeks she went back to sitting the eggs .so I got her 3 fertile eggs.plus its a good education for my son.any how.two eggs hatched fine.but the 3rd struggled.after 24 hours I helped as it was realy struggling.the other two are up and walking and chirping.the 3rd canot stand and if rolls over it can not right itself.its wings are spread out as well, he/she looks bright eyes and is chirping away.i put him /her next to food bowl but it just fell in it and rolled about.
Does anybody know what this could be and have any suggestions to help the chick.many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello & welcome, sorry to say there isn't much to do for your weakling. Had you not pipped it, it probably would have died trying. Have you given it any water? use a dropper to get it hydrated, it may survive, but it's likely it will die. Nature can be cruel, but it's survival of the fittest - sorry!
sad.png

Hi guys.
I have 4 chickens and one of then was broody and kept sitting eggs.i did break her as they call it.but I didn't like this.after 6 weeks she went back to sitting the eggs .so I got her 3 fertile eggs.plus its a good education for my son.any how.two eggs hatched fine.but the 3rd struggled.after 24 hours I helped as it was realy struggling.the other two are up and walking and chirping.the 3rd canot stand and if rolls over it can not right itself.its wings are spread out as well, he/she looks bright eyes and is chirping away.i put him /her next to food bowl but it just fell in it and rolled about.
Does anybody know what this could be and have any suggestions to help the chick.many thanks

Does it have spraddle legs? Sometimes when they stay in the shell too long they can have leg problems which prevents them from walking. The wings being spread out suggest it is just trying to stay balanced.
Try to get it to drink some water and see if you can find anything wrong with the legs.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.will try and give it some water tomorrow and see how things go

Unfortunately she /he didn't make it.was starting to look promising.but was smaller than other two.mum decided to leave the coop and take the other two for a wonder.the other was left behind and got to cold and passed away.
To top all that of I had something telling me to Ho out and check on the new ones mid day.
As I went out I herd one of my chickens making a distressed noise.i went into the woods and caught a fox running of with her.he disappeared with her.i managed to find them and get her back.checked her over.she has puncture wound in her back.will have to see how she goes.then went on the search for the others.hes had them.
Never had foxes here in the year ive had chickens and it was in day light.
Unfortunately for the fox my profession is pest control.
Better be smart and not come back

Back
Top Bottom