2nd chicken sick in a month symptoms are different

This is what the lab results concluded on my previous chicken that i assumed had a respiratory disease:

Histologically, the tissues appear normal and do not identify any cause for the respiratory signs you identified clinically .
Bacterial cultures were unrewarding. Serology identified Mycoplasma gallisepticum positivity, but this only suggest that the
animal had been vaccinated or exposed. However, this Mycoplasma can cause respiratory and reproductive issues. The heavy
metal screen, avian influenza ELISA, and additional serological testing is pending. Examination of the brain and peripheral
nerves also failed to detect a cause of the paralysis you discuss. No evidence of Marek's disease was detected.
09/04/2014 (Afternoon)
The heavy metal screen identified slightly elevated but nontoxic selenium and zinc levels. AI testing was negative. All testing is
complete.

Well today I decided to cull her, whatever she had spread quick because its the 4th after treating her and she still looks very bad, Her paralysis was really advanced, i didn't want to see her suffer anymore. She was the oldest and biggest. I dont know whats going on with my flock. I still treating the other ones with valbazen and im keeping an eye on them for signs of sickness.

Oh boy here we go again, today i found another chicken that was in the coop with my previous one that i had to cull, she had the same symptoms lethargic, not eating not moving walking funny, i checked on her and she was in a corner of the coop not on her perch with her sister, I checked her but and i found this stuck to her feathers, do i have cocci?

That's shed intestinal lining. I agree with Kathy, get them started on corid right away. It can be found in the cattle section at your feed store.
I'm thinking this might be a result of the report of MG in your birds causing these problems.

Last edited:
This is horrible! this morning i found her dead, it was so quick 3 days ago she was running around with her sister as if nothing was wrong. It took 2 days maybe 2 1/2. Today i bought corid 20% powder I mixed 1/2 a tea spoon in one gallon of water, i will continue making a fresh batch every day for 7 days, Is this correct? Im treating all of them even my 2 month old chicks. Also I cleaned the coop with bleach diluted in water, I sprayed everything from top to bottom even the outside of the coop wood, nest boxes, feed trays, perch, i threw away the oyster shells and grit and replaced with new one.

Last edited:
Okay so i have them all on the right corid doze now. Another chicken started sneezing a couple of days ago, she is in the pen where my first chicken got sick with what i thought was a respiratory disease. Previous to having chickens in there i had rabbits, is it possible that the rabbit urine or poop in the dirt could be getting them sick? I cleaned the coop when i removed the rabbits they only lived there for 2 months.

well I finished the corid treatment and looks like it worked all of my chickens look nice and healthy, i also finished deworming them. I sanitized all my coops with bleach after the first doze of valvazen and again today after the second. I have my fourth chicken that started coughing by herself away from the others and i am treating her with antibiotics, her coughing has been getting better after almost 7 days of treatment. I wan to thank everyone for their quick response and all your valuable information
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom