2week old Ducklings dying whats up!!! I am at a loss

My point is...there is no need for them to be in the water just yet. Even warm water.

Quote:
Oh so it is actually in the vitamin section instead of the cooking section...DERRRR...Can I substitute vitamins i have at home.... I have quite a variety for the cattle babies ....make a smashing coctail out of them!
wink.png

And they are only going to get a little fun time in the water...they do not LIVE in the water nor is it free for all in their brooder just in case anyone thought that. I wanna be there to make sure when they are in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cattle vitamins will most likely kill them eventually.

I also echo that they be kept out of the water until you solve the mystery deaths. They poop alot in water and the others will ingest particles.

No NOT cattle vitamins....people vitamins...Vitamine e, A and C, Garlic, Alfalfa, that sort of thing.

Oh I know cattle vitamins will do them in....NOT GOOD..

Last edited by a moderator:
Never Never never Allow duckling to get totally wet before they are fully feathered. They can't deal with it unless with mom they lack the proper oils to protect them selfs from getting to soaked and chilled .....Also... Young ducklings can drink to much and basically overdose on water. I use a chicken water it gets filled 3 times a day when they are little and it gets filled more often as they age. Never medicated feed..... Greens are wonderful I feed lots of romaine Never personally tried yogert... Or know any breeders that do??? So can't reccomend that or say its a bad Idea. I raise a couple hundred ducklings per season here and don't loose to many.... I also want to mention from time to time you get what I call faders they just up and die no good reason they just kinda dry out and pass on. Its most common it the call ducks.
Allie

I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth. I've raised a lot of ducklings and have always allowed them to swim supervised for short periods of time twice a day from the time they're 2 days old. I feed them Purina Start and Grow medicated with Amprolium from the beginning to help prevent cocci. I chop up spinach or dark colored lettuce and put in their water for them to fish out. I'm wondering if they're too warm. Ducklings take less heat for a shorter period of time than chicks do. You said you see them away from the heat source...if they are as far from the heat as they can possibly get they may be gettting too hot. I'd say almost 90 degrees at their age may be over doing it.

ETA: I should add that I raise call ducks which are even more fragile than standard size ducklings.

Last edited:
I use wild game bird grower. That way I don't have to worry about the extra niacin. Also lots of romaine,broccoli,brussel sprouts andsprouted wheat if I have it. I also use room temp water.
Could they be ingesting the shavings? It sounds alot like impaction or choking.

Back
Top Bottom