2wk old New Hampshire

sevenchickens7

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Kansas
Hey everyone I'm new to the chicken world and came across this site while struggling to help one of my little guys. Any advice would be great! He cries when he goes to poop and his vent protrudes from his body. It has begun to bleed now everytime he goes. He does not have a pasty bottom but when they all arrived 2wks ago he did and struggled with it for a couple days after. Last night I gave him a 10 minute soak in warm water (instant relief achieved) and fed him some olive oil. He is still struggling bad this morning. Should I continue the soaks and olive oil? Please help?

Welcome to BYC.Make sure the brooder temperature is not above 80-85 F so as not to cause dehydration. If you have some molasses, give him 3 drops orally or on some bread crumbs. That will act as a laxative. Also you may try a QTip soaked in a drop of vegetable or mineral oil, and insert it gently into his vent 1/4 inch. That may stimulate him to poop. Preparation H cream can be applied to the prolapsed vent to help shrink it. Post a picture when you can.

Here is the poor guys vent

Back
Top Bottom