2yo RIW attacked by neighbors dog - PLEASE HELP

Gimix

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2016
about an hour ago, one of neighbors dog (husky) got into my yard and attacked my 2 year old Road Island White.
she is missing a lot of feathers (most of them from her back) and a large portion of skin has been torn away.
I have cleaned the wounds and the skin appears to be still attached, but I can see a large portion of the mussel is exposed

she does not appear to be in shock, and is very alert at the moment.
she is currently sitting on my wife's lap, wrapped in a towel and getting pats and happily eating.

I'm hesitant to take her to any of the local vets, as any time I have ever taken a chicken in, they recommend putting them down regardless of the issue.

will try and get some pics to add, but in the mean time, any advice would be greatly appreciated
275.jpg

Last edited:
Mild soap and water or betadine is best to wash you may disagree but she is shock
no pain killers please do you have neosporin aka triple antibiotic

about an hour ago, one of neighbors dog (husky) got into my yard and attacked my 2 year old Road Island White.
she is missing a lot of feathers (most of them from her back) and a large portion of skin has been torn away.
I have cleaned the wounds and the skin appears to be still attached, but I can see a large portion of the mussel is exposed

she is currently sitting on my wife's lap, wrapped in a towel and getting pats and happily eating.

I'm hesitant to take her to any of the local vets, as any time I have ever taken a chicken in, they recommend putting them down regardless of the issue.

will try and get some pics to add, but in the mean time, any advice would be greatly appreciated

So sorry that your hen was attacked.
Keep her inside and flush the wound with sterile saline or diluted betadine to keep it clean. I'd follow that up with Vetericyn spray or triple antibiotic ointment to keep the skin moist
Do you think she suffered any punctures?
I would offer her a wet mash with a bit of Poultry Nutri-drench in it. I would also put some electrolytes in her water for additional support for a couple of days.
You'll want to watch her carefully for any signs of infection. You'll want to keep flies away from her until the wound scabs over.
It's a very good sign that she's alert.
Chickens can heal from hienous wounds.

So sorry ti heat what happened. I'm not sure what I would do either. I think I would most likely remove it from the flock put in a comfort area ti avoid any activity to help heal. Keto Ann Eyre on wound. Flush wound out regularly with distilled water with a gently mist. Wrap area and check dressing. Hopefully she stays comfortable the first 24 hours is most important. Dogs sti carry rabies and if shots are up to date the worst could happen. Stay positive and hope for the best that she can recover

So sorry that your hen was attacked.
Keep her inside and flush the wound with sterile saline or diluted betadine to keep it clean. I'd follow that up with Vetericyn spray or triple antibiotic ointment to keep the skin moist
Do you think she suffered any punctures?
I would offer her a wet mash with a bit of Poultry Nutri-drench in it. I would also put some electrolytes in her water for additional support for a couple of days.
You'll want to watch her carefully for any signs of infection. You'll want to keep flies away from her until the wound scabs over.
It's a very good sign that she's alert.
Chickens can heal from hienous wounds.

good to hear,
have already put her in the bathroom with the heater on, and found some game bird starter that i have added water and Avi-Vital to.

water is already dosed up with Avi-Lyte.

as I'm in Australia, we dont have Neosporin.
would bepanthen work?

View attachment 1819404

So sorry this happened to you. Sending lots of love and prayers for your hen.

she isnt the prettiest chicken, but i've had her since day old, and she has been through a lot...
she was attacked by a fox when she was about 6 months old and then we almost lost her last year when she got trapped in her cage on a 45 degree day

thank you to everyone for you advise and kind words.
will keep you updated if anything changes

good to hear,
have already put her in the bathroom with the heater on, and found some game bird starter that i have added water and Avi-Vital to.

water is already dosed up with Avi-Lyte.

as I'm in Australia, we dont have Neosporin.
would bepanthen work?

yes it will do not try to cover it please best to leave the neosporin to do its work she will be fine little yogurt scrambled egg with a bit of water in it add the Avi-Lyte sure.. need to ask if this the one you have Canesten Extra Clotrimazole & Hydrocortisone Creamit will work

Back
Top Bottom